Cricket

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Are there any downsides to Cricket Wireless? It looks like a perfect value service. $55/mo with 10GB/talk/text. It is AT&T LTE service.

I pay $95 total for AT&T unlimited data, but I only use about 2-3GB max per month. I'm totally happy with AT&T service in my area.

I'd save $40/mo or $480/year by switching.

I understand the data speeds may be capped at 8mb/s? Does everything else work well with the iPhone 6, like visual voicemail?

It is very tempting.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
No roaming with partner networks. I compared the ATT coverage map to the Cricket coverage map, and the ATT map had some extra areas (Montana, if I remember correctly, was one such area).

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
No international roaming - period.

Also, Cricket customers are set to lowest priority when the tower is overloaded... If the tower is not overloaded, your speeds will be fine, but if it is -- you will be much slower than someone standing right next to you with an AT&T sim card.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I had cricket /aio for a year. Had coverage everywhere I used to have with ATT. NY, NJ, ATL, Seattle, Alsaka, Denali national park etc

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Are there any downsides to Cricket Wireless?
None. The only thing people might not be used to is no device subsidy... but that's for their own good to see how high priced smartphones really are.

It looks like a perfect value service. $55/mo with 10GB/talk/text. It is AT&T LTE service.

I pay $95 total for AT&T unlimited data, but I only use about 2-3GB max per month. I'm totally happy with AT&T service in my area.

I'd save $40/mo or $480/year by switching.
It is the perfect value service, plus if you only use 2-3 GB per month then you can go on their $45/mo 3 GB plan and save $50 a month and $600 a year! :eek:

Not to mention taxes and fees are already included in the base price. So you save another $5/mo that you would normally pay for taxes and state fees.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Cricket

8mbps limit, which is plenty for even HD video.
No roaming
No tethering
Yes visual voicemail works fine.

Ive been quite pleased with 35/mo flat no hidden fees.

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

I bought my iPhone 6 outright so I'd be free from the d%mn contract handcuffs.

My 'unlimited' data plan (which is really 5GB before throttling) is paired with a bad talk plan, and I'm locked into no changes to keep UDP. And texting at $20 more is a total ripoff. Considering my relatively low data usage, it is really not that magical of a plan.

I want a simple plan and solid coverage where I go (USA) with no billing surprises. I will give Cricket a try WHEN MY STUPID TWO YEAR AGREEMENT IS UP IN A FEW WEEKS. Worst case, I give TMO another try (coverage issues last time) or go back to a basic plan with big blue or big red.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I had another phone I used Straight Talk on. It's AT&T but it came with unlimited everything with a 2.5GB LTE cap and then 3G after that for $45 per month. I also tried Tmobile's Walmart plan with unlimited everything with a 3GB LTE cap and then unlimited 3G after that for $30 per month but couldn't get a good signal and LTE speeds were very slow.

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I ported my number from ATT to Cricket's 10GB plan yesterday. Painless, quick, enjoyable experience. Coverage is exactly the same as AT&T (perfect in my area) and LTE speeds are great. Everything on my Iphone 6 works just like it did yesterday. And I am only paying $55 total every month.

The best kept secret in wireless.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Only downsides are no device subsidies and lower quality of customer service compared to the Tier 1 carriers.

Overall it's a very good deal. They don't charge overages like AT&T proper but have access to their coverage.

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Still totally thrilled with Cricket after a few months. yesterday I noticed they offer a 20GB package for the same $60 as the 10gb pro plan I was on, so I switched. I've never used even half of my 10gb, but I changed my plan anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.