Cricket

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InsideTJ, Oct 7, 2014.

1. InsideTJ macrumors regular

Are there any downsides to Cricket Wireless? It looks like a perfect value service. $55/mo with 10GB/talk/text. It is AT&T LTE service.

I pay $95 total for AT&T unlimited data, but I only use about 2-3GB max per month. I'm totally happy with AT&T service in my area.

I'd save $40/mo or $480/year by switching.

I understand the data speeds may be capped at 8mb/s? Does everything else work well with the iPhone 6, like visual voicemail?

It is very tempting.

2. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

No roaming with partner networks. I compared the ATT coverage map to the Cricket coverage map, and the ATT map had some extra areas (Montana, if I remember correctly, was one such area).

3. winterny macrumors 6502

No international roaming - period.

Also, Cricket customers are set to lowest priority when the tower is overloaded... If the tower is not overloaded, your speeds will be fine, but if it is -- you will be much slower than someone standing right next to you with an AT&T sim card.

4. 617aircav Suspended

I had cricket /aio for a year. Had coverage everywhere I used to have with ATT. NY, NJ, ATL, Seattle, Alsaka, Denali national park etc

5. InsideTJ thread starter macrumors regular

"Had"? why'd you leave?

6. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

None. The only thing people might not be used to is no device subsidy... but that's for their own good to see how high priced smartphones really are.

It is the perfect value service, plus if you only use 2-3 GB per month then you can go on their $45/mo 3 GB plan and save $50 a month and $600 a year! :eek:

Not to mention taxes and fees are already included in the base price. So you save another $5/mo that you would normally pay for taxes and state fees.

7. 617aircav Suspended

I left when I got the 6+, I joined my brother on a T-Mobile family plan to get unlimited data and international roaming. Cricket is great had zero problems with them in 5 states.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Cricket

8mbps limit, which is plenty for even HD video.
    No roaming
    No tethering
    Yes visual voicemail works fine.

Ive been quite pleased with 35/mo flat no hidden fees.

9. InsideTJ thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

I bought my iPhone 6 outright so I'd be free from the d%mn contract handcuffs.

My 'unlimited' data plan (which is really 5GB before throttling) is paired with a bad talk plan, and I'm locked into no changes to keep UDP. And texting at $20 more is a total ripoff. Considering my relatively low data usage, it is really not that magical of a plan.

I want a simple plan and solid coverage where I go (USA) with no billing surprises. I will give Cricket a try WHEN MY STUPID TWO YEAR AGREEMENT IS UP IN A FEW WEEKS. Worst case, I give TMO another try (coverage issues last time) or go back to a basic plan with big blue or big red.

10. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I had another phone I used Straight Talk on. It's AT&T but it came with unlimited everything with a 2.5GB LTE cap and then 3G after that for $45 per month. I also tried Tmobile's Walmart plan with unlimited everything with a 3GB LTE cap and then unlimited 3G after that for $30 per month but couldn't get a good signal and LTE speeds were very slow.

11. InsideTJ thread starter macrumors regular

I ported my number from ATT to Cricket's 10GB plan yesterday. Painless, quick, enjoyable experience. Coverage is exactly the same as AT&T (perfect in my area) and LTE speeds are great. Everything on my Iphone 6 works just like it did yesterday. And I am only paying $55 total every month.

The best kept secret in wireless.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

Only downsides are no device subsidies and lower quality of customer service compared to the Tier 1 carriers.

Overall it's a very good deal. They don't charge overages like AT&T proper but have access to their coverage.

13. InsideTJ thread starter macrumors regular

Still totally thrilled with Cricket after a few months. yesterday I noticed they offer a 20GB package for the same $60 as the 10gb pro plan I was on, so I switched. I've never used even half of my 10gb, but I changed my plan anyway.