Crisis for FedEx too?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boostmiser, Jun 21, 2010.

1. boostmiser macrumors member

So Apple and AT+T were overwhelmed the first day of pre-ordering. Now it's FedEx's turn. I wonder logistically how well FedEx will hold up during this iPhone delivery rush? They will be handling most, but not all of the deliveries. Since a signature will be required (slowing things down), many will not be getting the first day. Will this cause an uproar? Is this one of those times, like Holidays, where FedEx will hire temp work to fulfill the deliveries?

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

They can hire me. I'll work for them a few days if I can get my iPhone a day early!

3. bahooki macrumors regular

They handle Christmas just fine. The iphone release isn't remotely as taxing.

4. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Doubt it... They ship so many more than 600,000 packages a day, it probably doesn't affect them as a whole in the slightest... Local hubs might be a bit more backed up than usual but I'm sure they have plenty of PRN staff to help the work flow that day (if they would even need it).

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its not like FedEx has experience delivering on high volume days like Christmas...oh wait. :rolleyes:

Are you just fishing for reasons to get upset?

6. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

This is a drop in the bucket compared to the holiday season. Remember, 600,000 is all orders combined... so, how many of those are pre-orders being shipped home vs. reservations vs. overseas pre/res?

I don't think they have much of a crisis on hand, personally.

7. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

HAHAHAHA. I think it is cute that the OP thinks this is such a big deal that it will even come close to taxing the ability of something as large and well organized as Fedex who handles millions of deliveries worldwide on a daily basis. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just to put things in perspective, Amazon supposedly ships roughly 300,000 packages on any given day from its 12 shipping facilities combined. Even more during the holidays.

8. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

FedEx has their ***** together. Tom Hanks will keep them in line.

9. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Won't be a problem for FedEx... they ship millions of packages all around the world everyday. At Christmas time they ship tons more, no problems.

10. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

It's FedEx they are one of the largest companies in the world. They delivered millions of packages a day. Do you really think that 600k phones is a lot (btw most that that 600k will be shipped in bulk to the stores, so it's really only one delivery)

11. Mercaptan macrumors regular

12. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

It only ends up being a few extra packages per driver. No big deal.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

:D

14. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Seeing as how the pre-orders were for in-store pickup and orders throughout the world, I doubt FedEx will have to worry about anything.

It's not like 1,000 people in every town pre-ordered an iPhone.

15. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

I think tens of millions is more accurate.

16. cparktd macrumors member

cparktd

Well...

international average daily volume (world wide) was 813,000 for the year ended May 2008.
    2009 volume was about 2.5% less 2008. Per a stock analyst report.

SO...
    the iphone shipment is about 3/4 of a average (world wide) days worth. No small feat. Not likely they are all on one plane or sent all in one day, unless FedEx added a dedicated flight.
    Doesn't seem likely to me they could add that much capacity to a couple existing flight.

Christmas load is spread over 2 months.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Really? You know the size of the shipment? Are you just talking about the leg from China to the US?

18. Benito macrumors 6502a

Benito

One of my friends works for FedEx here in Toronto. He told me on the weekend that he is still delivering six iPads per day on his route.

19. Dfndr90 macrumors regular

Dfndr90

2 Months, what economy are you living in. Christmas rush is now only 6 or 7 days at FedEx.

And just and FYI, although this shipment is only 600,000 phones, there are several direct flights handling them from China direct.

FedEx is already prepping local stations with stop counts for the iPhones and stations will have extra staffing in place to handle the extra volume.

I would say more, but am covered buy an NDA.

20. edk99 macrumors 6502a

This is nothing for FedEx. They are well aware of the number of iPhones that were preordered and will adjust resources to get them to where they need to go on time.

Don't forget that Amazon had well over 1 million preorders of Harry Potter delivered on release day with out a problem. I think Windows 7 also had a 1 million + preorder too.

21. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

I think FedEx is the only one prepared. :p

Not worried at all about FedEx.

22. quid squid macrumors regular

i hope my phone isn't on his plane. :p

23. quid squid macrumors regular

OMG ITS 9AM AND MY PHONE ISNT HERE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait, it's only Monday, I could've sworn it was Thursday...and I stayed up ALL NIGHT waiting for Fedex to get here :(

24. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I think the OP is paranoid as FedEx is MORE than capable.

Just relax and BE THERE when it is delivered as they will not leave without a signature.

FedEx will do fine, will YOU?

25. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

just another day for FedEx.. Perhaps a bit geekier is all.

Blonde Buddhist (a fellow Apple geek)