Crisis! MB Pro 15' 2010 experts pls

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 7evenPoint, Aug 8, 2015.

1. 7evenPoint macrumors newbie

Hopefully somebody can help me repair my MB as I just can't upgrade right now.

Water damage. I foolishly put an iron in my bag along with my MB, and it appears that water seeped its way upward from bottom hinge. Appears to have damaged the screen, and magsafe board.

Before you start telling me all is lost...I am currently typing this with her. She has become a desktop which is fine at home, but I need her portable for work and such.

What I need to know is what could be wrong and if it will be easy to repair. I don't have soldering setup/skills though. (This isn't my first rodeo and I have a fully bootable backed up drive.)
    Here are the current symptoms I have after some light testing;

Starts up on battery and the sleep indicator works.
    Screen does not react at all at any point. Its dead.
    After attaching my external monitor, she appears to be running fine. Will run in dual screen and clamshell.
    Power adapter does NOT light up OR charge battery, but DOES provide power to the MB. The actual battery menu points out the 'battery is not charging'.
    Permissions repaired, NVRAM reset, SMC DOES NOT reset.
    Removing adapter puts battery back in use.
    All other ports function fine.
    HD and all other internals register and operate fine.

I am assuming now, my screen is a goner. Can I just replace the whole led unit? Or is there some short on the logic board?
    Will replacing the magsafe dc board fix the charging problem?
    Or are there better answers to all!?

Also, is there a way to use my external screen as the main so I can at least try and run the AHT?

Thank you for whoever answers!!!

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Honestly it could be a number of issues, none of which could anyone really say over this forum. It could be the screen itself is damaged. It could be the connecting cable from the screen to the logic board is damaged. It could be the connector on the screen or the logic board is damaged. As the cable seems to be hardwired to the screen you would not only need to find a replacement cable but solder it on. if its the connectors on the logic board you would have to VERY good at soldering to even attempt it. The magsafe port is the same thing, very good soldering skills needed.

As much as I hate to say it because I feel your pain. You only really have 3 options. 1) Take it to an Apple Store and see what they say is damaged, get a quote and pay for repair. 2) Use it as a desktop. 3) try to repair this yourself but risk the computer ending up worse (unless you have skills).

You also need to keep in mind, with option 2 or 3 the computer may get worse over time. Water damage on electronics tends to get worse over time. The logic board may start to warp, the solders may weaken and degrade. The whole computer may start having other issues besides what your having now.

3. 7evenPoint thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. Dang. Yeah, there is no way I trust myself to solder anything more than a wire to wire. Do you think replacing the whole of the magsafe dc in board, could fix the charging issue?

ALSO, I made a discovery while messing around. The isight camera is still functioning, although I believe this runs a different circuit? Could it just be the screen data cable then? My guess is that that corner of the mac, with the magsafe, and screen data cable got hit with the water.

(Also unrelated, I just moved away from Phoenix.)

4. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

5. 7evenPoint thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have the budget right now for a new MB. Even used. I do have the budget for fixing though. After some other online research/forums, I've narrowed down my possible fixes to replacing the LVD data cable to the screen, and the dc in board for the charging issue.
    I'm just waiting for some time off to confirm this at an apple store.

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

How do you know you have the budget to fix it when you don't even know what to replace. Your guess is only a temporary fix and there maybe more damage that you don't know or can't see. I'd say get a quotation from Apple and see how much it costs. I believe it may be more expensive or very close to purchase a new laptop.