Crisp Graphics

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by geque75, Nov 24, 2010.

1. geque75 macrumors regular

This may not be the right place to post this and if not, please let me know and I will remove it. I need a little help with creating crisp graphics.

I have the Adobe Master Suite so I am confident I have the tools to do this, however, not sure I have the skill set. When I create graphics/icons for iPhone that have only edges (such as square signal bars, etc) I can export these as .png and the image quality is excellent. However, when I create text or any graphic that has curves, when I export as .png and load into my theme, the image is really poor when viewed on the iPhone. I have been trying to create my own 3G indicator that goes on the status bar and this is killing me as ever time I try to create it, no matter how I export and save, the image is just bad. Any help with this would be appreciated.

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

For status bar images, I would create a vector graphic in Illustrator, then import it as a smart object into PS. The scaling works much better if it's a vector, and it comes out much sharper.

3. APtalent macrumors regular

What's the point creating it as a vector and importing it as a smart object? Definition will be lost and pixelization will be evident.

4. geque75 thread starter macrumors regular

5. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Well that's just how I did it. And it came out fine for my carrier logo, for instance. Obviously it would be better as a pure vector, but I needed photoshop to do some modification which I didn't know how to do with illustrator.

And if you're making a 40x80px image, it's going to be pixelated to some extent no matter what.

6. APtalent macrumors regular

Not if it's a vector.

7. mr.csb macrumors newbie

Open the stock image that is in the iphone (the one you're trying to replace). Unlock the background layer, and hide it. Create a new layer, and create your artwork in this new one. Once you are done, delete the background layer, and Save for web and devices. That will create a new image that has the same dimensions and (most importantly) resolution as the original image. Ignore all the vector talk, because you can't load up a ps or ai file on the iphone.

8. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

A vector isn't going to be pixelated as such, but what I'm saying is that the smaller the image, regardless of what format its in, eventually the screen you're viewing it on will distort it as it shrinks down. So i'm saying that even a screen like the retina display will at some point pixelate your image, regardless of whether or not it's a vector, simply because there's not enough pixels to capture all the image information.

9. APtalent macrumors regular

Wrong. The iPhone 4 has a 326 ppi density which is far more than any other smart phone and certainly exceeds it's predecessor. Vectors don't get pixelated. Whether they're shrinked or enlarged. It can be scaled either way, hence the name, vector: objects that may be added together and multiplied ("scaled") by numbers.

As the retina display "distorting" it, is absurd. If anything, the graphic will be just as crisp. Unless your changing the format, the resolution will be retained and there will be no pixelization.

10. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Ok listen I'm not arguing about how vectors work. I was wrong in my earlier posts, yeah. But all I'm saying is that even if you use a vector image, if it's too detailed/complex/large, shrinking it down to a size (REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT GETS PIXELATED OR NOT) that fits in the status bar can make it look distorted, simply because there are not enough pixels, even in the retina display, to capture every detail. You make it sound like you can take a vector image at 1920x1080 and shrink it down to 40x40 px and preserve every single detail, which the retina display will then beautifully display pixel by pixel, the only limiting factor being your eyes. That's just not how it works.