Critical Battery Banners

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iBreatheApple, Mar 18, 2014.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

While only a minor annoyance, does anyone else wish you could change the battery alerts to banners? They always seem to stop me at the most inconvenient times. Seems like a no-brainer, IMO; I'm surprised it's not an option.

2. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

They do because it is critical. If it was a banner and dismissed after a couple of seconds you could miss it.

4. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

It's not that bothersome though. Hit ok, takes a second and back to what it was.

5. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

When I first saw your title I thought you were suggesting that a banner like the VOIP and tethering banners should be permanently displayed when the battery is critical. I'd rather like this as I fairly regularly end up using my iPad until it dies and a more obvious reminder might help stop that.

6. white4s macrumors 65816

you could have that if you jailbreak it. I have it and love it

7. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

If only I received a dollar for every post that involves removing the annoying battery status pop-up.. This has been around for a long period of time, you'll need a jailbreak to do so.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

A pop-up at 5% would be helpful, but 20 and 10 is annoying.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Very annoying. I would be happier with the status bar at the top going to Amber at 10% and red at 5% obviously opaque.

10. cynics macrumors G3

I find it annoying too. I would either disable them or set it to banners given the option.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Good idea that.

12. Nothlit macrumors regular

I wish the battery alerts would make a noise if you are talking on the phone. There have been times when I've been on a long phone call, and went to hang up only to realize I was at 3% battery and had missed the alerts because they popped up silently while the screen was off next to my face. It would be nice to have some audible alert that the phone is about to die while I'm on a call.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

They changed OS X from displaying a (modal?) dialog to showing a notification with Mavericks. I can see them doing this for iOS eventually...

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Pretty sure they have that already as I hear/feel it when I'm on a call.

15. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

The current low battery alert is annoying as it interrupts whatever was running or playing. It should be a sticky banner or something along those lines.

Yep, there is a low battery sound that plays during calls.

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Every time that stupid thing pops up I want a banner and then I should be able to go to the notification center and see it.

I just don't like the ones that pop up on the screen. I have every single notification set to banners so when I get the pop ups it's just annoying. And it's not something that I will need to stop and read I can easily play a game look up and see "battery 20%"

17. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

+

18. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

You'd only have a dollar. :)

19. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Quoted and replied with something similar yesterday but decided not to submit it, lol.

20. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I wouldn't be rich, but have way more than just a dollar. I was reading a similar post the other day about how users want the battery pop-up to just go away and never show up at all.

It never hits me at a crucial time but, I'm always looking for a charger after 30%. I personally hate it when my phone dies.

21. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

I used my iPod touch yesterday, on a 20 minute train journey. This notification popped up 4 times.

Battery prediction on the iPod touch has always been pretty poor, which I'm guessing is why they don't show the battery percentage. If you interact with it a lot (for example, browsing your music for a minute or two), the battery goes down quickly. If you leave it alone and don't touch it, the battery meter goes back up.

I'm guessing that the smaller battery in the iPod and the simpler hardware makes battery prediction less accurate.

Attached Files:

22. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Sorry but you'd only have a dollar.
    You said "If I had a dollar for every time".
    Now had you said "If I had a dollar for each time".

Anyway it's not a big deal. Just a pet peeve.

23. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

lol

24. Nothlit macrumors regular

I stand corrected, I guess. But I'm pretty sure there used to be a time when the battery alerts didn't make a sound/vibration while on a call. Maybe they added that in a more recent version of iOS and I just haven't encountered it yet.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

I definitely recall it being there back in iOS 6 and I think even 5 if not before as well.