Critical Question about Macbook Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jblack4083, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

I didn't really get any help in the other forum with this but...

Right now i have a Sony VAIO that has 512 MB of RAM, a 1.5GHz centrino, and a 64Mb ATi Mobility Radeon 9200. With this laptop i have trouble running Illustrator, Firefox, and AIM at the same time. Everything is really sluggish when i do so and also illustrator lags. Sometimes things are a little sluggish when i try to switch from one program to another.

If i get a Blackbook fully loaded, will i not have these problems. Is everythign still smooth if i were to run Illustrator, iChat, and Firefox at the same time? This is my biggest concern. If this will all be good then i don't even mind having GMA950.

Also, is there any way to allocate more RAM to the GMA950 than what it's already set to?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You won't be able to allocate more RAM (not in OSX, anyways) but you will be pleasantly surprised by the MacBook's performance. CPU wise, the MacBook will be at least three times faster than your Sony. GPU wise it should be about the same. You are not using anything that is particularly demanding of the GPU (depends what you are doing in Illustrator, I guess).

3. munckee macrumors 65816

I don't think illustrator is capable of doing anything that would tax the GPU much. It's a 2D program, so there's no rendering involved or anything.

4. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Max out the RAM in the Vaio even; a friend has one of the newer Core Duo Vaio's, but Vista on 512MB of RAM is hilarious(ly slow). Going to give her my spare 1GB stick when I upgrade this to 3GB in a month or so.

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

I agree.

If you picked up a MacBook with 512MB, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you said it ran sluggish with a bigger app like Illustrator running with other stuff (FireFox + iChat + whatever widgets you have on your DashBoard).

1GB+ will make things a lot nicer, on either your Vaio or a MacBook.

6. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

With 2GB (Which i highly suggest).

I'm currently running Illustrator, Photoshop, Pages, iTunes, MSN, Firefox and Mail :)

No lag whatsoever

7. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

this makes me feel so much better about getting the MB instead of the low-end MBP for 500 dollars more. I want the smaller size too.

8. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

Update, i forgot all along that this laptop will carry with me into college and i'm going to be doing engineering. Will the MB be sufficient for some CAD work if i have to do any. If not then i might still get it and end up using school computers for CAD work. Any architecture or engineering majors out there want to pipe in?

9. KT322 macrumors newbie

Highly recommend 2GB+ (minimum) to smoothly run any professional application (Photoshop, Illustrator, Aperture, Final Cut, etc). I maxed out 2GB very quickly. Adding 1GB (3GB total) significantly reduced page outs, which greatly increased performance.

According to OWC, all C2D models (this includes MacBooks and iMacs) allow up to 3GB addressable memory, with a maximum of 2GB per slot. See http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/MacBook/Testing/Memory_Benchmarks for details and test results.

If I were buying a Blackbook, I would get the base version with 1GB (2 x 512MB) for $1399 (education) / $1499 (regular). Then buy RAM from Crucial, OWC, or another trusted vendor. 2GB (2 x 1GB) is ~$90-$100; and 3GB (2GB + 1GB) is currently $160 at OWC, $230 at Crucial.

10. keenkreations macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I believe running 3GB of RAM will not allow you to utilize the dual-channel memory technology, which I see is a performance boost. I cannot back this with data, but from what I have read, it's useful.

11. Episteme macrumors regular

It makes a 0-10% difference for most things; it may impact the integrated graphics more though. Having said that, if you're running enough to actually use the RAM, 3GB is will still faster than 2GB. Paging is really slow.

12. dusanv macrumors 6502

GMA950 <<< Radeon 9200
    GMA950 != video card

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-mini-intel-integrated-graphics-inferior.html

and

Why does MacRumors seem to be populated with graphics card snobs?

14. dusanv macrumors 6502

Apple apologist! GMA 950 doesn't support hardware T&L. That alone (I won't mention a myriad of other things) makes it impossible to play any game made in the last 4 -5 years unless it was specifically made to run on that POS. Hardware T&L appeared in graphics cards in 1999 if I remember correctly. There is no comparison between the Radeon 9200 and GMA 950. Macbook keeps up with some games solely because of the decent CPU.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Games! Games! Games! The OP never mentioned games! Most computer users DON'T play games!

I still say MacRumors is populated by video card snobs...or teenagers.

16. dusanv macrumors 6502

It is true that it's suitable for usage other than games even as it is but it's a big step back, that GMA 950. Macbook would have rocked even with the lowliest of the video cards (like Radeon x200 or something).

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

There are other factors in play besides technical ones. Apples relationship with Intel for one. At any rate, things will improve once the X3100 comes out in the next MacBook.

18. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

What kind of engineering are you going to be doing? As far as CAD programs go, most of them (at least the popular/good ones) are so expensive to license that I'm fairly certain that you'll be using the school's computers for simulations. If you're using programs like Mathematica for modeling, that will run great on your MB.

19. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah games are irrelevant to me. I don't play computer games because i just pull out the PSP if i really need to play games. I want to know about that college thing. Will the MacBook suffice for college if i have to do some light CAD or will i have to use the school's machines. Do most kids use the school's machines anyway? Also the school's machines will probably have bigger screens anyway. a 15" screen wouldn't even be that great in that case.

I am going to major in Aerospace / Aeronautical Engineering with some flight probably

20. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you are going to be doing any kind of serious modeling in the aerospace field, you'll be using programs on your school's computer.

The MB will be fine for you, and is a great choice.

21. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

Great i think as of now all my concerns are gone. Over the past week I've been set on getting it but every time i eye an MBP i always think "dam I'm gonna regret getting the MB".

Thanks for your help :D