Criticism for Wordpress Theme

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by geekindisguise, Aug 5, 2009.

1. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I have only made a couple themes with Wordpress and they almost always turned out a lot worse than my Mockups, until now. I originally made it for ThemeForest.net but they didn't accept it. They told me it was because it didn't meet there Design standards. I personally loved this theme, but I want to know how I can make it better. So, please, give me some Constructive Criticism and I don't care if it is good or bad.

http://jacobwilmoth.com/users/Example_Wordpress/

Thanks!

2. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    You could start with cleaning your code. The indentation is a little bit annoying, and the markup is not validating (the CSS does, though, with a few warnings).

Next, the font is horrible, to put it simple. The one on the header is too big, the color combination for the rest is not a well-chosen one, and the hyperlinks for say categories (ex.: Everyday Stuff), are again poorly-chosen. Try removing the underlining. Then create an a:hover effect, and underline it with dots. Or underline simply + background. Or... you get the point :)

I don't like the icon for the Search either, it looks old, and the form could have been customized, like... you could have given it a nice border. It would improve dramatically.

Also, the images could have a border as well. I suggest a dotted one, I imagine a solid one to be ugly. Right now, the images don't blend with the theme, if you know what I mean. Also, I'd try including them in a paragraph, as it would take care of many things with a single letter.

The color scheme can be improved. http://kuler.adobe.com is a great color scheme picker. This one appears to be perfect for you.

Last but not least, it has many bugs. See the first attachment for the one in the navigation bar. This and the low contrast between the link and the other elements, and it gets very very annoying, amateur-looking.

And try implementing the sidebar as well. The WORDPRESS link at the bottom looks horrible, you can tell it's not its place there.

Polish it up a little bit, and you know how they say, if you don't succeed at first, call it version 1.0. Come back with a v 2.0. It's a good thing that you like it, and I hope you will happily improve it.

By the way, my browser is Firefox 3, latest update, before you ask.

Attached Files:

3. memco macrumors 6502

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Same, no page there...

5. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Sorry, its not bad, its just I host it at home and our power went out for a long time. The Server will be back up in running in about an hour.
    It Should be...

I need to invest in a UPC for my server. :D