Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
alright here's the box i've designed for some rice balls that my family's business makes. i'm not a designer, i just play one on mR.

anyways what do you think?

the panel with that one big paragraph is the top of the box. i'm thinking of removing that or trying to make the blurb shorter.

this is just a first draft, i have only been working on it for the last few hours.

ok go ahead.

thanks everybody for your input.

Attachments

• risottoball.gif
    risottoball.gif
    48.3 KB · Views: 245

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Personally, I'd move the ingredients below the nutritional info and bring the prep instructions up a little on the back. Also, I trust this box is going to have sides? If so, stick the nutri info and ingredients on one side. The story and instructions can then go on the back. Then put branding on the top and other side.

Also...with the window...does the product look good frozen? If not, time for a picture (and you'll probably want a picture on the back as well).

Anyways...they sound delicious. Is this just for practice or am I gonna be able to find these things in my local freezer section sometime soon?

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Personally, I'd move the ingredients below the nutritional info and bring the prep instructions up a little on the back. Also, I trust this box is going to have sides? If so, stick the nutri info and ingredients on one side. The story and instructions can then go on the back. Then put branding on the top and other side.

Also...with the window...does the product look good frozen? If not, time for a picture (and you'll probably want a picture on the back as well).

Anyways...they sound delicious. Is this just for practice or am I gonna be able to find these things in my local freezer section sometime soon?

probably just available in canada right now... :(

thanks for the advice...makes a lot of sense.

the sides are just a BIT too narrow for the nutrition info format i'm supposed to use...although i guess i could fudge things just a bit.

we're going with an overwrapped heat seal packaging, so the window should be okay...i'm finding it hard to make a picture on the box look good anyways so that's why i chose the window.

thanks again :D

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
the sides are just a BIT too narrow for the nutrition info format i'm supposed to use...although i guess i could fudge things just a bit.

we're going with an overwrapped heat seal packaging, so the window should be okay...i'm finding it hard to make a picture on the box look good anyways so that's why i chose the window.

The reason I asked is sometimes frozen things can get icey and suddenly don't look as tasty as they normally would. I would think a picture would work wonders, and I'm sure someone here in the forums could come to your aid with pointers for making it look good.

As for the nutri info...if you have a preset size for that from, say, a governmental agency...follow the size guidelines they gave you.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
you need to either follow through the multi language on all the packaging or just keep one language. Also remember you have 6 sides to a box, so consider using the underside for ingredients or something and the sides for the instructions (1 italian/1 english) :)

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Just FYI, in the US you would be amazed at all the different laws about packages (sizes of each text category, the nutritional box, etc etc). I'm not sure about Canada, but when you finalize a design, you might want to take it to someone who knows those laws (in the US, some food or packaging companies hire lawyers who know those laws inside and out and it's their responsibility to be sure everything is to code). At the very least, you might want to look 'em up online for yourself to be sure you won't run into any problems.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Just FYI, in the US you would be amazed at all the different laws about packages (sizes of each text category, the nutritional box, etc etc). I'm not sure about Canada, but when you finalize a design, you might want to take it to someone who knows those laws (in the US, some food or packaging companies hire lawyers who know those laws inside and out and it's their responsibility to be sure everything is to code). At the very least, you might want to look 'em up online for yourself to be sure you won't run into any problems.

thanks for the advice...luckily canada isn't nearly as stringent as the US on food packaging labelling regulations. i did a food science major in school so we went over all those laws. i can imagine though that lawyers would be needed in the states...there are some very picky regulations.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
you need to either follow through the multi language on all the packaging or just keep one language. Also remember you have 6 sides to a box, so consider using the underside for ingredients or something and the sides for the instructions (1 italian/1 english) :)

the multi language is french and english...only the common name and ingredients are required to be in french.

good point about the other sides...its a narrow box so i should use those for ingredients.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
The reason I asked is sometimes frozen things can get icey and suddenly don't look as tasty as they normally would. I would think a picture would work wonders, and I'm sure someone here in the forums could come to your aid with pointers for making it look good.

As for the nutri info...if you have a preset size for that from, say, a governmental agency...follow the size guidelines they gave you.

good point...this forum is a godsend. :D

we have sausages that are vacuum packed with a window and they seem to look pretty good. i'm just trying to avoid a full colour picture because that increases the price of the boxes. i should send you some samples...you're very helpful...

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
My only suggestion and it is a minor one, is to put the word "mayonaise" on one line. It looks a little off being hyphenated.

BTW, what grocery stores in Canada will be carrying this product? Sobey's? Fortino's? I would like to pick some up!

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Another small point - the lines below "RISOTTO BALLS" don't look centered, or at least not equally balanced. Other than that, follow the advice of the others and I think you're good to go.

irmongoose

thanks irmongoose and bluetooth. some good points there. i'll fix it all up and get going.

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
My only suggestion and it is a minor one, is to put the word "mayonaise" on one line. It looks a little off being hyphenated.

Yah ... I'd ditch the hyphenation as a matter of course.

Otherwise, you're well on your way. If you have/can get ahold of a template of all 6 sides, lay it out on that, print it, fold it and really look long and hard at what the finished design looks like.

Good luck! ;)

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Yah ... I'd ditch the hyphenation as a matter of course.

Otherwise, you're well on your way. If you have/can get ahold of a template of all 6 sides, lay it out on that, print it, fold it and really look long and hard at what the finished design looks like.

Good luck! ;)

good advice.

thanks

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Fix the lowercase "r" in the top description.
The directions should take a new line for each step.
I also agree with the hyphen needing replace with simply moving the whole word onto the next line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.