Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rory.reilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Hi, I was kinda bored and had 15 mins to kill so I decided to play around with Photoshop/Illustrator and create a "Youtube Venn Diagram" showing popular the categories of youtube and how they intersect creating subcategories along with estimating what types of video we shall view in the future. Please don't be too harsh as I am 13 with little design experience.

Attachments

• Youtube-As-A-Venn-Diagram.jpg
    Youtube-As-A-Venn-Diagram.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 171

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I like it. It appears only to be missing cute cat videos.

Wish I'd started doing graphics when I was 13, I'd be a hell of a lot better than I am now!

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Please don't be too harsh as I am 13 with little design experience.

Design Lesson #1: Show some **** confidence! :D Talent will only get you so far. You'll be surprised exactly how much of design work involves having to talk up your work. Clients will respond much better to confidence than self-depriciation.

As for your design, The mechanics are good. I'd suggest a little more contrast between the colors - especially the blues. Also - why did you go with that particular color palette? I associate YouTube with red, white, and black. (That's not a dealbreaker. I'm not suggesting you change it or even mimic the YouTube colors. I'm just curious as to why you chose that color scheme...)

Nice work.

rory.reilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Design Lesson #1: Show some **** confidence! :D Talent will only get you so far. You'll be surprised exactly how much of design work involves having to talk up your work. Clients will respond much better to confidence than self-depriciation.

As for your design, The mechanics are good. I'd suggest a little more contrast between the colors - especially the blues. Also - why did you go with that particular color palette? I associate YouTube with red, white, and black. (That's not a dealbreaker. I'm not suggesting you change it or even mimic the YouTube colors. I'm just curious as to why you chose that color scheme...)

Nice work.

Thanks, I originally went for the red, white and black color scheme but changed my mind in the sake of aesthetics however I will try again with different shades of red, white and black.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
I like it, but I think it could use some magenta or red color. Maybe on the ribbon itself and one of the circles...

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Hey Rory,

I actually like it too.

What would make it better?

Better typography.

Start by losing the all caps look ... and see where that leads you.

LE0n4RD0

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
You tube

if you ever get a chance this book thinking with type is a great place to start learning about typography and it will make a big difference on how you design. But you are in the right track.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.