Critique My Edit

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iampaulb, Jul 23, 2012.

1. iampaulb macrumors regular

Hi Guys...

Just wondered if i could get an opinion from you video folk. I have cut this on Premiere all footage is from gopro in either 720 or 960. Please excuse the quality of some clips, this was due to a scratched GoPro case and the weather, dirt, rain you name it. Hope you enjoy the edit none the less.

http://youtu.be/FG60EPcf0cY

Any creative feedback would be much appericated...

2. WRP macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't put company logos on the video unless they are legit sponsors paying for video. Even if you or the riders are sponsored by them, if they don't contribute to the video or production costs, they don't get placement.

I'm a little jaded working in the past for an action sports company. I am just so over POV edits. Sure you used it to capture some other riders as well, but GoPros have totally made me hate watching most rider edits.

All-in-all I liked it. Good flow, short and sweet, mostly banger stuff which was nice. You switched it up good with POV to filming others.

I would have tried to do some more interesting mounts. Top tube mount, bar mount, chest mount, mounting it so you could see the rear shock rebounding, etc.

Only cut I really didn't get was the last road shot. Didn't really do anything for me.

Maybe have a little VO or interview to set up the story a little bit. Specially the establishing of riding the lifts to the park. Perfect place to add a VO or interview setting up the story. Would have worked better than the title card you put in there.

3. iampaulb thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback, glad you liked it. I was hoping to use more mounts, but lost a few bits so i couldnt. Going back i September so hoping to make another movie, we ill be flying too so more interesting shots.

As for the last shot, wasnt sure how to end it. So with getting arm / finger pump most days i thought i would use that to end it. More of a chance clip really.

Thank you for the comments though i will take them on board for my next trip, going to try and build more of a story next time.

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Love the video!
    I have a few basic tips.
    WRP is correct about the logo use.
    But add that some of the logos are way past the so called Safe Action/Title zone.
    The last clip with the city scene also didnt sit well with me.
    I like that the env was extreme but once it got to last clip, it lost me.
    Im a beginner Trail rider but deep with Snow and Skate (vert only).
    Your edits hit some sweet spots I like ;)

5. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I think you did good with what you had to make it go well with the videos. A few things I would have like to see:

Change up the shots like mentioned before. All of the POV shots are from the same location. Then the few shots of the large jumps that you took from the side, I'd have liked to see some different angles. You could have got one from underneath the jump aimed toward the sky as the bike goes through the air. You could have placed the go pro on the ground as the bikes went by or toward a jump.

For the intro, I get what you're trying to do with the logos, but I don't think it works well. It looks like your lining them up with a clear object in the video (road, dashboard etc), but with the camera movement I don't think it looks good. I like the idea, but I think it comes across really...amateurish? There is just not enough right with it to look good, so it comes across as trying to hard. Usually I've seen people do that with text on a shot where its a slow pan. it moves the environment so it looks like it is physically in the shot. Also, I think it might be interesting to slow the footage down just a little bit at the start and stabilize to build up more to the real start of the video.

At around 25 seconds, those cuts seem a little off of the beat. The timing needs to be adjusted somewhat.

Also, the last shot would have been alright had you transitioned from the dirt to the pavement. But it comes across as too much of a different scene/location.

For other shot ideas:
    - Everyone getting ready at the beginning before starting
    - shot downhill at the course
    - closeup of the people
    - you could even go more theatrical I guess and do a bunch of closeups of a guy getting ready at the top. So you show a close up of him putting his foot on his pedal, putting gloves on, gripping the handle bar, close up of his face, then a shot behind him looking downhill at the track, then him taking off.
    - Some more shots off the path of riders going by in the trees utilizing trees/branches/weeds to create some more depth of field (I realize with a gopro this is hard to do)
    - I'm sure there was some reaction from the others after you were down that would have been good to get.

Despite all my ramblings above, it's still a good video. Most of what I mentioned are just suggestions on if you want to do more. Only working with gopros in a group setting make it difficult to accomplish unique shots. So if you had the time during the ride and weren't sure what else to do, this is what I recommend. But don't ruin your experience if this was a once in a lifetime ride just for a video.

6. iampaulb thread starter macrumors regular

Got it, i did try to line it up with items in the shot. i was planning on using keyframes to move the logo with an item in shot. ( i remember seeing logos disapeer behind mountains or clouds, is that aftereffects? Does anyone have any tutorials on this?)

I agree with what you are saying though reguarding the whole video, when you're with a group of lads ready to go as fast as we can down the mountain. Its hard to say STOP! i want to take this shot, and that shot! LOL. If i have time i would of sessioned certain bits to get the shot.

But thank you for all your tips and points everyone, I see where you are coming from especially the titles / logos. Thanks

7. WRP macrumors 6502a

It's called motion tracking and rotoscoping. Many filters have motion tracking built in like the BCC filters from Boris but those are for tracking effects to objects. After Effects has a great built in tracker. You motion track points to "put" things in video that don't belong and you use masks and other tricks to make it look as though it belongs there.

It's what I used to do this stuff many moons ago.

http://www.tetongravity.com/videos/Anomaly-Teaser3-Typical-Teaser-623401.htm

8. iampaulb, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

iampaulb thread starter macrumors regular

Ah Okay! Brilliant...Thanks for that, just watching an adobe TV tutorial on it now (nothing to do at work) IT looks super cool Ill have to give it a go.

Do you know of any good AE tutorials, I know my way around Premiere quite well. But AE i dont really have a scooby, I tried to create a dynamic link to my premiere project, it just created a huge comp. Couldnt edit that..so gave up!

So any AE tips would be very helpful

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Kill most of the car stuff. It's got nothing to do with what your video is about so it's just wasting time. I think you were waiting for that intense part of the music to start alongside bike shots, but you can edit the music shorter.

You should leave 1 or 2 of the car shots and get your titles in that way. Do two 4 second shots and do your titles over them. Like a shot of the bikes riding on top of the cars. I liked seeing that and it IS good to establish things. But I'd rather see you get to the riders at 8 or 9 seconds in, not 23 seconds in.

(My comment assumes you're planning this to be seen on the internet. If you're going to play it on a screen at a biking convention, feel free to ignore me and take more time at the start.)

10. BritenSonny, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

BritenSonny macrumors newbie

iampaulb,

Keep in mind that shooting and editing is subjective. We all have our own opinions about what looks good or doesn't look good. Framing, composition and storytelling are the basics you should be concerned with at this point.

What is the story in this video? A day in the life? Most viewers will overlook less slick content if there is a story. Blair Witch Project comes to mind. Not my cup of tea but those guys made a boat load of money on a less than stellar production.

Visual variety is key. GoPro will limit your ability to get closeups but think about how we view life through our own eyes. Close ups of people and things are key. When I go to a concert or sporting event I want to be as close as a can to the action.

Typically, music videos are cut on the up beat or down beat not on the beat itself. Most will cut to the drums such as snare hits. Watch pro music videos for reference. Study what others do and I don't mean what you see on YouTube.

Again opinions vary. As my mentor would say, "The important part is to practice your craft."

11. mBox macrumors 68020

Good words BritenSonny.
    Its easy to get caught up with the technical side of things as well so careful with that.
    Its great for personal reasons but if you get into the professional world, you will be asked to do something cool first before telling the story which to me is ass-backward.
    If I had my way Id send all them "Lens-flare" loving clients out the door ;)

12. iampaulb thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks BritenSonny i see where you are coming from. It will be good to try again in September, although it will mostly likely be with another GoPro hopefully the Hero2 - ill try and test some things out :D

13. BritenSonny macrumors newbie

Experience can be your friend. Think about what you want to accomplish and how you can do it better the second time around. One thing you did absolutely right was hit the project time (just over 2 minutes) right. Know your audience and how long they will stay interested.

Client work is one thing(the client is always right, at least in their mind), personal projects are something else. This is your opportunity to hone your craft by experimenting. Who knows shooting action videos may become your passion and your profession.

I ask my students to do their level best. That's all you can ask of yourself. That's what I do as a media professional and that's what I do as a teacher. The more you shoot and edit the more comfortable you get and the more rewards you will get.

Look forward to seeing your next project.

14. iampaulb thread starter macrumors regular

i agree with you there practice / experience makes perfect and all that...Id say i have a passion for it already, the action movie scene. I follow people like BrainFarm / Anthill Films / 2nd Base Studios / Absinthe Films and so on people all who create films in the sports i love. I get a kick out of watch them no matter how many times i have seen them, as their cuts and footage just amazes me.

I will be trying to think of new ways to use my gopro on my next trip, one shot i do have in mind is a chest cam of me walking into the plane getting greated by the air stewardest (if shes hot all the better) what ya think? Good intro clip? and then so on....

One thing i have noticed about my work is that i really genuinely get a kick out from cutting the final piece. When i get that clip, which matches the beat perfectly and just flows with the rest i sometimes jump out of my sit and punch the air... lol bad thing is though id rather be the one being filmed, but i am sure that will change when ideas start flowing rather than excitement about hitting the 50ft double.

15. BritenSonny macrumors newbie

I felt compelled as a teacher to encourage you to do your best. Critique is not just pointing out ever little mistake you make but applauding the things you do right. Pointing out a mistake without explaining why it could be better doesn't teach you anything.

Why not shoot your opening shot idea and any other shot ideas that you have. Just because you shoot them doesn't mean you have to use them in the final product. One of the biggest mistakes is to undershoot an event and then wish you had that shot. Unfortunately, digital has allowed for absurd overshooting.

Do you have the opportunity to shoot some test shots prior to your big shoot? Even if they are in your neighborhood. Just to test the limits and capabilities of the camera.

JG

16. iampaulb thread starter macrumors regular

JG i couldnt agree more, people who pick holes in peoples work simply because they didnt like it and yet dont explain why. Annoy the hell outa me!!! What is mostly more annoying, their work is ****! 99.9% of the critiques here have been constructive which is nice to see, with people pointing out good and bad parts it makes you think about the work instead of getting disheartened because some slated it.

Yeah, i got some ideas id like to try out on my next run on a downhill track, things like handle bar cam facing towards me, and shock cam so you can see the travel working. With a gopro and no one really wanting to be camera man. I am very limited.

17. mBox macrumors 68020

For sports, music and everything almost, overshooting is a must.
    But Ive experienced tighter shots (not cu) during short/long format projects where undershoot so to say is a general practise :)

18. iampaulb thread starter macrumors regular

Excatly what i did in Morzine, i took the gopro out every day, rain or shine. Just to film every run, every chair lift. Just incase we got that killer shot. With Hard Drive space and SD cards always coming down in price its so easy to do with out worry about space.

PS: Just checked my video on youtube and someone disliked it! LOL! oh no :'(