Critique my gfx card plans...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gjarold, May 27, 2013.

1. gjarold macrumors regular

I have a early 2009 octo mac pro.

Right now I have 2x gt120 cards, and no other expansion cards, and I am driving four displays (two DP displays and two DVI displays).

I'd like to drive more displays.

If I buy that new radeon 7950 and put it in my double-height slot 1, then put my two gt120 cards in slots 2 and 3 ... then I could drive:

- 4 existing displays with my 2x gt120
    - 4 more displays (2 DP, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI) with the radeon 7950

*and* I'd still have one remaining unused expansion slot ... right ??

Any reason this wouldn't work ?

2. Energybutton macrumors newbie

From what I've read the 7950 can only run two displays at a time. I was deciding between the 7950 and GTX 680, I chose the 680 as it can run 4 displays simultaneously.

Also running ATI and Nvidia drivers at the same time might cause conflict? although I'm not entirely sure about this.

3. gjarold, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013

gjarold thread starter macrumors regular

edit: it appears it supports four ... hopefully that is the case...

So other than that, any other issues here ? One big card in slot 1, two gt120 cards in slots 2 and 3, and slot 4 is still empty ... and I drive 7 or 8 displays, depending on whether I choose to use HDMI port or not ... reasonable ???

4. Energybutton macrumors newbie

Actually, just checking Sapphire's website it seems they have updated it,

Display Support 4 x Maximum Display Monitor(s) support

I'm sure it used to say it could only run 2 displays at a time.

Sorry for the misinformation, Maybe someone can chime in with the point in made about the drivers, good luck.

5. gjarold thread starter macrumors regular

Out of curiousity, can this new card (radeon 7950) drive any 4k displays ? If so, how many ?

Edit: from the ATI page, I see this:

so the answer appears to be yes, and it looks like you can drive 4k from HDMI port as well ... does that mean I could drive 3 4k displays with this card (two displayport and one HDMI) ??