Critique my latest portrait

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AnimaLeo, Mar 27, 2011.

1. bsamcash macrumors regular

It's good - if a bit creepy. Haha.

However, I feel the composition could be improved in my opinion. Try placing the masque along one of the rule-of-thirds cross sections. And, this might not be your taste, but I prefer a more creamy bokeh. I feel this one is a little harsh and makes me wonder if I forgot to put my contacts in.

But overall very creative and interesting. Good job.

2. Dan--, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

Dan-- macrumors regular

Well, I'm gonna say definitely creepy, but I assume that's where you were going. I'm not all that fond of the bokeh either, and yet I think it kind of adds to the creepy feel. High likelihood that someone's in a shallow grave back there.

Although I do like using the the rule of thirds usually, I feel this one is fine by the edge. Perhaps even a little closer to the edge would be better so that part of the subject (?) is cut off. Maybe.

Dan

3. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

There's a very neat sense of creepiness to it. Especially because it's in a very unexpected environment. Whenever I see green and trees, I expect to see calm, peaceful stories. But this time, I'm greeted with a very odd entity.

The color and softness is spot on. Any sharper and he would've felt fake instead of dream-like. Any softer and it would've felt poorly done. I can also do without the bright spot in the middle. It really distracts the picture from the model.

I suspect you can execute this even better if you throw in more story into the shot and pick a different backdrop.

4. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

Im not creeped out by it at all. To me it looks like a statement about the actor or acting. Its just the heavily blurred background that doesnt make sense. There's a diagonal pavement line next to the guys leg which leads the viewer to assume the long reeds/grass on the far lower left of the picture is actually next to the actor. The fading of sharpness doesnt make sense at that point. The confusion is caused I assume by the compression caused by a long lens so its something to watch out for. I generally think it should be more depth of field.

If you are trying to freak me out then change the subservient pose of the model to something more aggressive.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I like it! It looks a bit creepy to me which is why I like it. Very interesting picture.