Critique my photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SB123, Apr 18, 2011.

1. SB123 macrumors member

I am new to photography and recently returned from a trip to Costa Rica where I practiced a lot of my newly learned knowledge. I went through my photos and here is one that I thought was one of the better shots.

I was curious to see what others think? Is this a good photo or just an amateur shot? I used a Nikon D60. I can take the criticism so lets hear it. :D

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Its a nice shot but i don't really get a sense of scale, i don't get the feeling for how big the mountain is.

3. iSimx macrumors 6502

iSimx

Nice shot, would be nice if there were less clouds around the mountain as it covers a lot of it up and is distracting. Plus would use just a very slight increase in vibrancy just to make the colours pop a bit more. also slightly increase contrast through Levels... again only a touch. that's only from my personal point of view though. Here's a slight adjustment for what it's worth.. [​IMG]

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

It is a nice shot. I would crop off the right side, as there is half a leaf. Also, I would have liked to see what a sunset or sunrise of this spot would look like.

5. jackerin macrumors 6502a

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

looks nice ... I would photoshop out the roof on the left and some of the ferns on the right

7. SB123 thread starter macrumors member

That was the least amount of clouds all week. Typically the top is covered. I like the adjustment.

I haven't started using a photo editing program yet. I wanted to get a good handle on the photography first.

8. SB123 thread starter macrumors member

If you insist, a few more from Costa Rica....it's a beautiful country.

Attached Files:

9. SB123 thread starter macrumors member

couple more...

Attached Files:

10. SB123 thread starter macrumors member

What could I have done differently to achieve better scale?

11. dakduel macrumors member

im a n00b too

i too am still a beginner at photography but it to me, it seems like the plants in the foreground of the first picture just get in the way. They seem to hide part mountain. i sorta don't know whether i should be looking at the mountain or the plants in front of it.

and you are right, it is a beautiful country. hope to one day visit it

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I think you should as iSimx said, consider adjustments to boost the colours - this can be done in iPhoto and Preview.

Also consider straightening pictures (can be done in iPhoto easily) - several of your shots suffer from this problem.

If you don't like changes made you can always revert to the original as iPhoto keeps a copy.

13. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit