[Critique my video] How to be a gangster

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by spursguy123, Sep 6, 2009.

1. spursguy123 macrumors newbie

I made this the other day. Can someone tell me how much better the editing could have been if i had used my macbook i used a PC.
    Thanks
    P.S plz be kind about the actual video its one of my first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhzgPzbalgc

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I clicked knowing the first thing that came to mind was WTF? A video on how to be gangster? Is it cool to be gangster these days? I'm unsure but I am old. That said, I've seen the "how to be emo" videos and they're just as silly.

That said, I could not watch more than a couple of seconds. Not so much because of the subject but because the camera shake was bad. I am unsure if that can even be edited out.

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I think you are getting old jessica., we all know that the cool kids are gangsters!

But yes, I second the tripod notion.

4. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

It makes the Blair Witch Project look like a steady cam. Admittedly I'm not a fan of the whole "let's regress our camera techniques so it looks like the dawn of film" movement (smacks of laziness on the part of the writers/filmers - "ooh! let's add artificial movement to make the scene have some life!). That said, the movement in your shots went far beyond that and you need to either get a tripod or a camera man (assuming its you talking and not filming) who has a steadier hand as the shake detracted from your jokes.

And a Mac would help with the cheesy/boring text (Livetype or Motion come to mind...even IMovie has better text effects)

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

think of adding the film to my macrumors short film thread which can be found in my signature.

6. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

It comes across as you're trying to hard to make a cool video. It has a lot of amateur qualities (the camera shake and bad editing technique) and the not-very-funny subject matter. If you're going to do a parody, you have to push it farther. Most of the content on youtube has a "homemade" feeling to it, so you've found a good home for your video as-is. For me, it was just awkward and I couldn't watch the whole thing.

If you are serious about making good videos, then you need to fix your camera and lighting techniques, make the cuts tighter, and work out a better script. In other words... start over. :eek:

7. spursguy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your responses. Its my first film, I was just really playing around with it. But I've always been interested in making videos. I know i need a better camera (i used a digital camera) and a tripod if I wanna make anything with quality. I knew the crowd here would be somewhat a older crowd (adults) so i understand why some of you all would say wtf about the topic. The video was just a joke. Thanks for saying how it is tho. I wanted to use my mac but i couldnt get the video clips on it.

Does anyone have any type of video they have made on their mac so i can see some of the effects.
    Thank you

P.S anyone recommend a specific camera for a beginner?

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

The only thing I will add: A video that tells you when it's the end is not a good video.

9. spursguy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ill keep that in mind for future reference.

10. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

No better. Macs don't make videos, editors do.

11. huntercr macrumors 65816

Dang! I think you guys are being a little harsh. He obviously wasn't going for quality here. I thought it was a fun little in-jokey kinda things for his buddies.
    Yes the camera shake was awful, but as the OP said, he used a digital camera ( just having a consumer video camera with in-camera motion compensation would have handled his shake, though a tripod would obviously be better )

Give the guy a little break. I dunno.. I guess he asked for the critique wanting the unfiltered truth.

Keep practicing, man. You just started, you'll get better. And definitely get mac... iMovie is your friend

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is that where we can find more quality videos like the OP's? ;)

13. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Ditch the font, and the blue screen, and the cheesy script, and get a tripod.

Better yet, leave the videos to Nigahiga...

14. spursguy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks i appreciate the kind words.

15. spursguy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can i see some of your work?

16. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Still, all the harsh words are only to help you make a better video.

17. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well there are a selection of films that may be more to your taste if this isn't quite your cup of tea.

However as the OP is saying if they want to see a selection of other films from Macrumors members then that is where you would want to look!

18. fef714 macrumors regular

edit: iMovie '06 is your friend

19. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

iMovie 06's plugins where my friend

iMovie 09 is miles ahead in terms of interface.

-Omi

20. waistdeep macrumors newbie

Hey, it's not bad for your first try. A few suggestions,

-camera shake is ok to an extent, sometimes it's even considered a style. Look at some new tv shows, and apparently bad camera skills are in (out of focus, hand held shake, etc...) . But if you use all tripod shots, it sometimes looks equally as weird, depending on the subject. Mix it up.

- Always keep the camera between the light source and the subject being filmed (like in your room, the camera should be against the window facing you, and you should be facing the window, so the light hits your face).

-Check your audio levels. The songs you played were quite a bit louder than you speaking.

-Titles. There are so many options. You need to look at the "flow" of your project. I would suggest that the background be black (light blue isn't that gangster ;) and stay away from that typewriter style where it comes on the screen one letter at a time. Maybe try to find a font that represents your subject (like cursive for a wedding or handwritten or "Tag" for your video)

-Transitions. They can help two clips go together or a clip to a title. There should be a bunch of preset ones, but for now stick to "cross-dissolve" and "fade-in fade-out". I think a few of those in your video would make a difference.

I think it's a funny video. Don't get discouraged, just keep making videos, and know that whenever you post a video, people are always going to critique it. Just don't let it get you down. I liked it. Try remaking it and see what happens. Happy filming.