Critique Please.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Shaneuk, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Hi all, I really need critique on my website: http://shanephotographics.com

Changes I am planning to make:

Move the slideshows up more.
    Add a dividing line between the links and the slideshows.
    Maybe add a blog, does anyone have any idea how that should be formated?
    Add the logo, (or a new logo, depending if I change it) next to the site name that appears at the top of the browser, but I have no idea how.
    Add form to contact me, like this: HERE

Just noticed the comment about the logo, does anyone else have any feedback on that?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I've came up with an alternate design, at the moment there's one video on the front page instead of a load of sets of photos, but you get the idea.

http://beta.shanephotographics.com

Here's the very rough version with photos, but it needs cleaning up a bit,

http://beta.shanephotographics.com/index1.html

Thanks.

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Youre using tables for layout...you shouldnt do that.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

• There's a blank pic at the end of your portraits slideshow.
    • The header is too big. There's lot of wasted space.
    • The text content under the About, Photos and Books links needs a second draft. There's quite a bit of awkward phrasing.

The point about tables is a good one, but not critical. There's still lots of designers using table layouts. Semantically correct or not, they work.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Hey Shane ... here is what I think you should do ... Change the name of "Books" to "Weddings" ... No point in telling people you do not have any Books for sale.

Remove the "Weddings shoot for free" from your contact page ... your contact page is OK to be simple with just some contact info and maybe a point mentioning ... please contact me for available bookings.

Now for changing Books to Weddings ... No need to offer your work for free, once you get a gig ... mention to the potential customers that you offer a guarantee that if they are not satisfied ... they only pay for your basic time. Then offer them an attractive price package which will include some of their favorite photos taken that day.

research what other wedding photo shoots cost and come in under them all ... when you have built up a small wedding portfolio ... raise your prices.

good luck :cool:

5. Shaneuk thread starter macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Thanks for the feedback.

I've used tables because I'm not to good at making websites. Should I use Css instead?

Thanks for the feedback,

I've just realized I have forgotten to upload that picture. Opps.
    Are you talking about both headers?
    I don't understand what you mean.

Thanks for the feedback.

The idea of the books page is to constantly update it with news about the books, but I probably will change it now you have mentioned it.

Okay I will do.

Yeah, I'm going to shoot weddings for free, with no pay at all at first. The reason being is people will expect the same prices for their friends, a couple of professionals told me they had this issue.
    As I'm young and free from Thurs-Sunday every week, I'm not losing out by doing some for free.

6. Shaneuk thread starter macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Anyone got anymore critique?

I've updated the beta design a little more! Although the slideshow's aren't functional at the moment!

7. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I'm only talking of the main site, as the betas weren't fully functional when I looked.

I believe the comment on the header was referring to the size of the active link area. It's huge, yet confusing when the top 1/4 of the screen turns one's cursor into a "hand" showing an active link. It isn't apparent that it returns you "home."

If possible, a schema where you advance the photos by clicking on them (rather than on the buttons below) would be better. If you are limited to the buttons, know that on my USA English Mac, there are extended alphabetical characters next to the button arrows, which is bizarre.

It would be nice if the link text color reverted back to green when it is no longer the active page. In other words, once you click all the About/Contact/Books links, they stay purple, even though I've moved on to "Monochrome."

Finally, I think the (pardon the subjectivity) garish green and purple take away from the delicateness of your work. I like the B&W work in particular, but when I look at the screen, what pops out are the neon colors of the text. You really want this to be the other way 'round if it's the work you are promoting.
    While I'm on this topic, I don't dislike your logo at all, but I think it'd be clever if it somehow worked in the photography aspect. For example, what if the S! was in a stylized "Polaroid" frame rather than just a square. Or, if the square with the logo had transport perforations (like 35mm film) in it. I realize these are both legacy technologies, but people still immediately identify them as photography-oriented.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I'm guessing these are wireframes? I thought you were putting up the site.

9. manueld macrumors 6502

I would suggest looking into a CMS if you're going to be updating your blog and portfolio regularly and you can find a template with a CMS that would look much better than what you're currently doing.

10. Shaneuk thread starter macrumors regular

Shaneuk

I don't know what wireframes are.

Yeah okay thanks.

Would that allow me to update on the go?

11. manueld macrumors 6502

You'd need to define what you mean by "on the go".

12. Shaneuk thread starter macrumors regular

Shaneuk

13. Kildeer macrumors member

As some of the others said, you really should use CSS for layout, see this site: http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/ :)

It's difficult to give critique when the site is so simple, but I would advice you to switch to a CMS of some kind, personally I prefer WordPress which apart from a blog can also function as a CMS. That is, if you have PHP and MySQL on your server of course. :)

14. 7031 macrumors 6502

I do agree that you need a CMS, at least for the blog and it shouldn't be too hard to port this over to wordpress.

As has also been said, you really shouldn't be using tables for the layout, and you shouldn't be using images for the navigation. The same could easily be achieved using text, which would make the site faster loading and would also help with accessibility.

I'm not a fan of the font, but if you're OK with it then so be it.

I can't say I like the logo much either, but this has already been said to death.

15. Zdob macrumors newbie

16. Shaneuk thread starter macrumors regular

Shaneuk

I've been redesigning the site using CSS, it's smaller now.

http://beta.shanephotographics.com

Does anyone have any critique for this design?

Also I have no idea how install wordpress and keep my design.

17. Ap0ks macrumors 6502

It'd probably be easier to get wordpress installed first, so you can get your content started, then look into wordpress themes & customisation to get your design in place.

I also noticed you're using the Apple-esque faux 3D effect on the images on the homepage, to be honest it detracts from the images, perhaps make it more subtle or remove it ;)

18. Shaneuk thread starter macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Okay thanks.

Yeah that's because they're meant to be thumb nails.

19. Pomares macrumors member

Wordpress

Have you considered building your site on the Wordpress platform? There are many gorgeous photography themes and it won't look like a blog.

Google loves blogs so your search rankings are bound to improve because your site is based on a blog.

Unless you are a designer and thrive on creating beautiful web sites, consider purchasing a premium theme and focus on what you really want to be doing. Everyone will benefit.

My 2¢

P.S. I personally think elegantthemes.com has some of the nicest themes. I am not affiliated with them.

20. Shaneuk thread starter macrumors regular

Shaneuk

It's something which I have considered, but I don't want to do it unless I have to because I really enjoy coding everything.

21. Shaneuk thread starter macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Okay, I've made some more improvements.

- Migrated the beta design to the proper domain.
    - Changed the logo
    - Removed the scroll from the front page.
    - Added a blog archive button to the blog page.

http://shanephotographics.com

If anyone has anymore critique please say.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for a CMS that I can use and still keep my design easily?

22. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

Make your "shanephotographics" into text, not an image. You're using Verdana there, and it looks pixelated slightly in an image. Text will work fine, will be better for SEO.

23. Shaneuk thread starter macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Okay I'll give this a try.