Critique the pics... mix of cat and work :-)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Spacer, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Spacer macrumors member

Hey. Just messing about with my new lens. Any chance of some critique please?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Imo the selective desaturation can be skipped. I don't see what's so special about the AUXILIARY FLOTATION that it needs to be highlighten in that way. I'd much rather see a over-the-shoulder view of the pilot/co-pilot and a wider view of the control panels.

Airlift: could be interesting, maybe with a different composition than smack in the middle of the frame. Tried out a crop in the attachment.

The last is my favourite, good colours, nice action.

Attached Files:

• 1.1.jpg
      1.1.jpg
      File size:
      134.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Every time you use selective colour, a kitten dies. ;)

Don't let anyone tell you selective colour is ok. It's not.

I find the compositions a bit hum-drum. But the shots are technically fine. But lose the selective colour at all costs.

4. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

+1 on the selective coloring and ,while technically fine, they shots lack a certain...something.. IMHO... oh and cat shots are overdone. :)

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Can anyone tell what "overdone" means. Cooked too long? Photo that has been done too frequently?

Dale

6. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

My bad:
    Too often, too many cat photos. I meant the subject (cats) has been overdone , meaning too many times :) The same goes for dogs and all the other pets.

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

There can never be enough Cat photos.

[​IMG]

8. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Ugh, that bokeh really bugs me, however in terms of critique- I'd darken that to make it less distracting, and some fill flash for a catchlight in the eye would go a long way to enhancing the image.

The blurred grass in the foreground doesn't "lead" into the image, so it's distracting. Otherwise a good shot.

Cluttered image with no real subject, and no composition.

The white at the top and right distracts the eye from the subjects, it should be framed much more tightly.

Horizon's tilted too much. I think a slower shutter speed for more rotor blur would also help, as the yellow rotor leads the eye out of the image never to return.

Paul

9. Spacer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone that has taken the time to reply. I'm still learning. And just a bit of explanation of the interior shot of the helicopter. There's nothing special about the "Auxiliary Flotation" bit of the shot. Its the only yellow part of a dull slab of grey and dull colours. I only removed the colour and left the yellow because it was the only colour that stood out!

10. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I would think that it would have been pretty pronounced without the selective colour then... Could you post the original for comparison?

11. Spacer thread starter macrumors member

Jackerin: Here's the original (with some slight tweaks to levels, but very close to original). To my eye, it just looks a bit "flat".

[​IMG]

12. Keleko macrumors 68000

There's two totally different feels to the original vs. the mostly b&w version. The original I feel drawn towards the middle of the picture. The light there has a nice glow on the instruments. I also find myself moving to the left and right sides because of the glow that's there, too. The mostly B&W doesn't bring out any of the instrument panel detail.