Critique Wanted: Manipulation through editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mrzeve, Jan 31, 2008.

1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Alright, before I even explain what's going on here, I'd like it if you watch the video first.

http://www.staylazy.net/stein/stein.m4v

So one thing about media that has always fascinated me is the way they can manipulate footage to get their own agenda across. I've always been interested in making a documentary style short film, and figured this would be an interesting topic to tackle, without actually discussing it throughout the video.

So I have decided to begin recording my friend Andrew, simply because I find him to be one of the most delirious person I have ever met, so he makes a interesting protagonist. I'm just going to record him throughout different days and times, and in the end, going to crop together the footage and turn it into a story line. So basically, I am going to take 3 weeks of his life, and through editing, manipulate it into a story.

If you watch the video above, you will see what is, I guess, a trailer, yet more of a proof of concept. I just wanted to see if I could actually do it, and I think I did a pretty good job with only two minutes of footage that didn't have any particular subject. The theme here is a dramatic story, but I don't know if that will make it into the end product.

I'd love to know what you guys think, as I'm new to this stuff, as I don't count the spoof videos I've made with friends over the years as anything special.

notes edited with iMovie HD, in about 35 minutes, song is Breathe Me by Sia (although edited), and shot on a Aiptek HD mini cam, exported in iPod quality format.

2. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anybody have any opinions and thoughts? Really curious if anyone found this interesting/funny.

3. -DH macrumors 65816

OK. You wanted opinions so here goes;

Was it interesting? No.

Was it funny? No.

What it was: bad camera work, bad (nonexistent) lighting, bad audio about a subject that I couldn't find interesting in the least ... complete with copyright infringement for using the song.

-DH

4. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, at least you didn't mention the editing, which is the only thing I'm really concerned about, ala title.

Mind if I ask you your demographics? Age, location?

5. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Honestly, I have no idea what's going on, or what makes your story worth watching. It just looked like some bad footage of a guy in a parking lot with a lollipop. I'm not sure what kind of camera you were using, but an on camera light would probably make a huge difference.
    You said it yourself, you only had 2 minutes of footage about nothing, and I don't see how you can get a story, or an interesting 'trailer' out of that. It might work with 3 weeks of footage, but as it stands now, no.
    Good luck.

6. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I completely agree. The video was in the dark and we were waiting for a ride. I'm just trying to see how much manipulation can be done through editing. Sparked by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOF0WoyJDQk

7. -DH macrumors 65816

What's to notice about the editing? Editing works to tell a story ... since there was no story there, I couldn't form an opinion about the editing.

I'm older than dirt, live in the U.S. and been self-employed ... earning a full time living as a producer, shooter and editor for the past 18 years.

-DH

8. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

All I needed to hear, thanks.

9. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Interesting trailers. As far as your manipulation goes, I guess you could make it seem however you want. But for us, we don't know what was manipulated, never seeing the original project, so it's just footage. You could make 2 different movies/shorts, both using the same footage? But I'm not sure quite what you were looking to accomplish with that clip. Maybe I'm missing something? :confused:

10. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the biggest influence in that video was the music. it was cheesy and overly dramatic. like DH said, there really wasn't anything in there in terms of real editing or a story.

11. coneman5259 macrumors member

coneman5259

Well the concept is brilliant, but it's something that would take a lot of patience and SD cards.