Critique Wanted

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ktilla, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ktilla macrumors newbie

Hi, I don't want to overtake this forum but thought I could use your critics too.
    I am very new to this web design thing, to be precise this is my very first website. I just finished a 10weeks course and this is what I got out of it:

www.martakozak.com

I am open to any opinion but please take it into consideration that it is still in a working process...

Thanks for your time!! :)

2. doctoree macrumors 6502

I don't like it. You use bevel, emboss and other filters. These techniques are criticized amongst designers because of their overusage during the last 8 or so years. There is no underlying invisible (or visible) grid this causes all the elements to "swim". The human eye always looks for fixed and aligned parts unintentionally, when it can't find this organizedness the recipient is unhappy. Such a design grid should not only be present in a single site but consequently utilized throughout all pages. Exceptions should be strong enough to point out that they are intentional and not unintentional.
    Doc

3. ktilla thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your comment! I had a funny feeling about these filters but it's great to have the information that it is'nt so much appratiated in design-world. Since I am new, I don't know much about 'design history'.

I'll think about this grid-thing you pointed out.

Thanks a lot :)

4. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I have to disagree with doctoree about the purported axiom regarding the use of layer styles and filters in graphic design.
    Used correctly, they are difficult to detect and often have the effect of adding life and dimensionality to an otherwise "flat" design.

It is the improper use of layer effects by amateurs that has led professional designers to eschew that which is arguably one of the most powerful and useful additions to graphics software since Photoshop 4.0!

I like the soft glow in the center panel text elements.
    Subtle yet functional.
    [​IMG]

5. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

So, I read your post before checking out the site, and what I imagined was the classic 90's big bevels and ugly boxes... but I didn't see it. I think his subtle use of bevel and such is fine, it looks nice actually!

And I see a pattern to this, Left Nav (aligned vert), top nav (rectangle), and main logo window.

Unless he changed the whole thing from the post, I think you're a tad harsh. For a first site it looks an awful lot better than mine did! But good job to the OP for taking the advice in stride and not biting back. (Like I just did)

6. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

7. Definity macrumors member

The font kerning hurts my head, it just looks so 1993.. :(

8. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

9. Daringescape macrumors regular

I think it works for showing off your work. Its not my style personally, but thats what makes art so incredible - everyone has their own thing.

By the way, is the first project - the one with the hands holding the flower inspired by a Five Iron Frenzy song? - if its what Im thinking, its one of my favorite songs!

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

the curly thingy at the top reminds me of an ed hardy shirt :rolleyes:

11. doctoree macrumors 6502

You really improved it now. But (as someone a few post earlier already said) you have problems with Typography. It is not only the kerning (the distance between letters) that needs work but also your font selection. Make sure the fonts are coherent. When using contrast they should be very clear. Make sure not to use too many fonts. I'd say a max of 3 fonts is ok. Using more than 3 fonts is like using filters, its the temptation modern technology brings to us designers.
    You also need to work on the grid. Yust having a tidy menue at the top isn't enough. Please tidy up that mess at the bottom too.

Keep working! Good progress!

Doc

12. onegirlcreative macrumors member

onegirlcreative

Have you ever tried this blog/forum?

http://creativebits.org/

It is meant for us designers who want critiques, discussions, support, trouble shooting, etc. And it's meant for Mac Designers, as well.

Just give it a shot. These guys are experts in all areas of design.

13. ktilla thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the posts. It really is a great help to get these feedbacks. Since I finished the course I don't have my tutor to correct me or help me out.

I find it difficult to manage text in Dreamweaver. If I make the line height 'normal' it leaves too much gap between lines, if I make it smaller it cuts of some bits from the top line... :mad: I don't understand it
    I think that's why it's a bit messed up (not aligned) at the bottom of the pages.

Also, could someone please tell me how to create downloadable files and folders in Dreamweaver! What I mean is that people would be able to download (NOT open in browser or elsewhere but download ) files from my site!

thanks

your comments are really appretiated!!! :)

14. ktilla thread starter macrumors newbie

never heard the song before. Found it at youtube and I actually liked it a lot! :D Thanks Daringescape :)

it would be nice if I could tell you that the Precious picture has a lovely story but I was just learning how to use the different selection tools and apply filters...:eek::)

15. Daringescape macrumors regular

I was actually thinking of this song But yea, Five Iron Frenzy is a great band.

16. ktilla thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW!!! Even better! LOVE the song!

I get lots of dandelions from my little one! I have to download this song!