Crooked "F" keys normal or not..?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mladenz, Nov 1, 2008.

1. mladenz macrumors regular

Hi there,

Well i allready ordered mine MBP 2.5, but anyway.

I took a look at 2 or 3 MBP's in 2 different stores, and all of them had crooked "F" keys, so what i wanted to know is: Is this normal? Do more people have this? Do you have it?

Thanks;)

Mladenz

2. itcomic macrumors member

you can either take bad quality production as NORMAL or you can treat a non-crooked F key as normal like every other notebook out there.

;)

3. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Can someone please post pictures of these 'crooked' F keys? I keep hearing about them, but no visual evidence.

4. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

i guess you have a point but still want to know if more people have this problem:)

5. jakespeed macrumors member

My first one had the crooked keys and bum dvd drive..the second has straight keys but the space bar is a little clicky....i think i will stick with this one though.

6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I opened 2 macbooks at the apple store and they both had crooked fkeys. 3 out of 5 display units had crooked keys. I went to bestbuy and they had only 1 display. It had straight perfect keys. Bestbuy also promised me a 15% restock fee if I got one with a cosmetic defect.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Of course that goes to the guy that stocks the shelves right?;)

8. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

That right there was funny, I don't care who you are...

9. Lartymarf macrumors regular

This is intriguing... why can't Apple make all their laptops come with
    STRAIGHT keys? I understand the variance in production quality, but
    if they can make them straight on one, then they can make them straight
    on all of them.

10. delude macrumors 6502

Crooked keys are NOT right, so don't accept them! I was worrying before mine was delivered but was so relieved to see that everything was straight like it should be.

11. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

Hope my MBP doesn' have crooked keys, anyhow, i ordered mine online, if something is wrong, what should i do? Go to the nearest Apple Store or just call Apple and see what's up?

9 more days;D

12. jamestemroot macrumors member

QA should really be better

If you find anything wrong, take it back to apple for an exchange

13. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

14. blurfonz macrumors regular

Maybe I am lucky. i do not have any crooked keys. Not F not any others.
    Cheers

15. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

My F keys aren't crooked, however the righthand end of them sticks up above the other keys. Kinda looks like "waves"...

Check yours by being at eye level with your keyboard.

16. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

What the F?!? :D

So how can they have crooked keys anyways? ....is it the graphic thats crooked? ...they're cut into the metal and then fabricated plastic that fits exactly into the pre-cut hole....there's no spaces so how can they fit crooked keys into a straight space?

I second that, please post photos.

17. delude macrumors 6502

Basically, the crooked keys have the right side much higher than the left, so they all point up at an odd angle.

18. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

Jeez I guess I have never really been thankful for my non-crooked F keys :)

19. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

It's the "Function" Keys, like F1, F2, etc. I think it's just a bad run of the plastic buttons. The button maker will probably fix this soon enough. Mine was a backlighted KB and the display models were not, so I guess they have the same buttons.

20. zebbz macrumors member

would someone mind posting a picture of the crooked keys if it would be noticeable in a photo
    because i think i might have one or two but that might be me being a bit paranoid as its my first mac

21. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

If i drop down the store any soon, ill take some photo's. But basically the right side is a bit higher then the left side.

22. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

This is not normal. Apple is aware of the problem.

If your unit has crooked keys take it back.

23. 7even macrumors 6502a

A few of mine are slightly crooked but so what? it's pretty hard to tell, except the left command key, which is slightly tilted away from the screen. Keyboard works great, computer works great.. On the other hand, the first two I tried had perfectly even keys but had other problems. Choose your priorities wisely :p

24. zacman macrumors 6502a

In Germany Apple first said it was not normal and you can exchange it. Then lots of people started to send back their MB. Apple now says "stop whining" and "if the MB works you cannot return it because of design flaws".

25. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Mine came with Crooked keys and badly fitting battery cover. Though i am in the UK and covered by 14 day refund policy when we buy goods online. I returned mine and did not get a replacement cause it seems more are crooked then they are perfect.

If i choose to get a replacement, I will buy it instore and will not leave the store till i check it out for faults.

In relation to "if the MB works you cannot return it because of design flaws", i would say to apple, then stop going on about your great designs and new manafacturing process.....never got a dell or sony with crooked guys.