Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grozz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Australia
Hi all,

I just bought my first Mac (13" MBP) a week and a bit ago and I've just noticed something strange about it. When I shut the lid, it's visible that the lid isn't aligned properly, like it's been turned slightly clockwise.
Normally, this wouldn't worry me too much, but since it's still brand new, I don't know if I should do anything about it or not. My brother has had his 13" MBP for around 7 months now and his shows nothing like this.
http://tinyurl.com/8h5wn3 shows my situation (although slightly exaggerated), the blue on the bottom represents the bottom case, the red represents the lid.

What are my options?

Apart from that small gripe, I love my new Mac! Windows has been too annoying for too long and it's good to finally get away from it!

Thanks guys.

trayanscragg

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
this is not typically something normal i would say its defective and would go back to the apple store since its still covered under warranty .

CocoaTurtle

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
I encountered the same issue as you have with my 15" MacBook Pro I brought a few weeks ago! Due to this same issue I had four MacBook Pro's in 24 hours, lucky for me the fourth was perfect! I'd recommend that you box up your Mac and book an appointment right away! It's also worth checking the replacement Mac before you leave the shop (I didn't do this the first time and it ended up costing me a lot driving back and forth and in parking fee's etc)! You shouldn't have a problem getting a replacement or getting yours fixed, they were very good to me about this issue! Even check out the display models and show the employee how different yours is to the ones on display (which are always perfect)!

Good luck!

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
I have the same problem on my 15" though its barely noticeable. Maybe a mm off center. If it's that small I would live with it because bringing it back, exchanging it, and then restoring all of your data just for a small misalignment, isn't really worth it.

The only thing I would say is that if it starts to get worse, then go in for an exchange.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
My mid 2009 MBP had a similar issue. I just dealt with it though it always bothered me. After purchasing my new MBP I've realized how flawed my previous one was.

grozz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Australia
In the short time between creating this thread and now, it's also developed a scraping noise. You can see where it's scraping against the right side of the top case. Anyway I called Apple about it and they said it could develop into a crack and to take it into JB HiFi (where I bought it) for an exchange. Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.

aigoya

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
I had the same problem about a week ago.

I took it to the apple store.

At first they told me they'd take it off and realign it correctly, but the next day they called to tell me they would give me a brand new unit since i've only had my mac for 3 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.