Crop video without re-encoding?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sweener88, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Hi everyone,
    I used quicktime X to screen record a skype video chat and im trying to crop it so that theres just the skype window and not my desktop. I used imovie and did this but the video quality is terrible when i export it (shadows are like flcikers of grays). Im wondering if theres a way to do this to keep te exact video quality ( when importing to imovie i clicked keep original quality but still turned out terrible after i exported it) or to simply crop the video i need out of the movie. thanks!

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

What kind of file did you save from QTX, and what export settings/presets are you using? Depending on your codecs and settings, you can sometimes re-encode video quite a few times before there is much of a quality hit. You want to save your screen recording as something easily editable, like ProRes.

3. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

umm the original videos are all saved as .mov and for imovie i create a new project and then import video file (clicked keep original quality even though theres an error flag saying the playback quality might be bad...dont know why this is) and then i crop it, it looks great in the preview window of imovie. then i go export-> movie and after its done it looks crappy. Im sorry if that doenst make sense iv never done anything video related with my mac.