cropping photos to an exact size

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benlangdon, Apr 5, 2008.

1. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

every time in iphoto i try and crop something it scales it up or down and i cannot find a way for it not to do it (the constrain box does not do it)
    for instance i have a picture 6000x2000 and i want it cropped to 1080x1024 and anytime i do that it scales the height of 1024 to the originals picture of 2000

there has to be an easy way to do this.
    i have tried it in
    core image fun house
    iphoto
    preview

pm me if you want to do it for me but i really want a way to do this as i would like to do this a lot.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

If I understand you correctly, you want to resize the pictures. This can easily done in Preview. Go to Tools >> Adjust Size. There you can enter the desired size.

3. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

no i do not want to adjust the size i want to crop out a part of that picture with a size of ...

but anytime i enter the dimensions in iphoto under crop and then custom it scales it up to fit the height of the picture when i want it about 600 pixels shorter. the constrain button does nothing

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

5. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

so when your using it you make a square or something on the left on the image and it says the size on the bottom right but how can you get it exact

if you change those numbers it just makes it bigger or smaller ie not the actually increase the area of the image

it will not go exact, it keeps jumping but it works i guess, only if i could get it down exactly:/ o well it works thanks

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Photoshop (which you can get a 30 day trial of) can do this:

_Skjermbilde-1.jpg

7. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

is that elements or ...
    elements is the only one i could actually afford. ehh free trial

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Got be honest ive never used it,but i did search google & that seemed to meet your needs,this is another one i found

10. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ha if i found it on google i would have spent 5 hours deciphering between ten different ones that i found.

w/e it works well

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Glad it works Ok as it would have made me look abit foolish, all i typed in google was crop image Mac
    it was the first hit

12. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ha haha

ya besides the fact that you cannot really be exact down to the pixel it works pretty well.
    im happy.
    i made 3 new background. (thats what i am using it for, one screen is different size then the other and i want the image to line up.)

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Ah Ok but i suppose that's the price you pay for not getting something like photoshop pro or similar

14. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Good recommendation! :D I just downloaded it and love it already.

15. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

well you tell me what you think.

[​IMG][​IMG]

the tops line up on my screens

16. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ok sorry for bringing up an old post of mine but i still have this issue

first of all let me restate what i want to happen
    here is a picture
    (i flipped it for the crop)
    [​IMG]
    this picture is actually 3022 x 2064 pixels

now with this picture i want to crop two pieces out ( not at the same time but if i could that would be great )
    these pieces need to be each an exact size.

first one is 1280 x 1024
    [​IMG]

then i need another by 1440 x 900
    [​IMG]

i do not need the entire picture i used from the beginning, i just need two images that line up with each other but are actually different sizes.

you cannot really tell what i mean by looking at these images because of their lack of size restrictions. but if you look at my photobuck you can kina get an idea of what i want the images to look like.
    http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg2/benlangdon/

i have tried easy crop and was working for a while but it will only allow you to crop to a specific size with preset increments, you get 1439 or 1445 or ± 5 pixels when you want 1440, this works sometimes because it gets very close but i just cannot do it anymore. it just does not line up all the time and i have to make many images moving it left and right to make it work. (anger issues)

i tried skitch but its totally the opposite of what i want to do so i barely used it.

now cs3 can probably do it. but i have no idea how. i have been trying to learn/figure out how to crop it to exact dimensions. i know how to crop but i can not figure out how to use the height and length part.

i need help.
    please.