Cross buying apps ...

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by TheLondonFella, Nov 3, 2015.

1. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

If I've already bought an app on one of my iOS devices, and there is a paid for AppleTV version of said app, do I get the AppleTV version for "free"?

Just noticed the Oceanhorn game on the AppleTV App Store, while watching iOS Today (the Twit podcast) and it showed up as $9.99.

I'm in the UK, but that won't make any difference.

So, is cross buying "free" for all existing apps that you've paid for on another device?

Cheers ...

2. chris566 macrumors regular

Some games/apps, like Oceanhorn, are universal and transfer over to ATV4 :) Other games/apps, like Xenowerk, have a TV edition that you would have to purchase :(

Some "older" iOS games, like Dynamite Jack, work on tvOS! I hope other developers follow and allow universal support to bring some games back to life and maybe on to trending games lists.

3. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Thanks for letting me know, Chris.

Have a great day, mate ...

4. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I bought Oceanhorn IOS. When I went to "purchase" on my Apple TV it was there. So, I downloaded it but didn't have to pay for it again.

5. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Yeah, it's entirely at the developers discretion if they want to include the Apple TV app as part of the purchase or not. There will be plenty of sticky fingered developers, er I mean deserving developers, who will want to charge seperatly for the Apple TV app in order to cash in. Erm, I mean, recoup development costs of course.

6. MrTemple macrumors regular

Apple should allow an IAP to 'unlock' the universal version. Best of both worlds.

I think few would begrudge developers from getting a small fee for the privilege of installing it on all iOS platforms. But more importantly, few developers would get away with charging near full-price for the same app on each platform. They'd be getting paid, which is a valid argument for the work required to 'port', but they'd have to price to satisfy the market.

Currently devs get full price or nothing. There's good arguments against both options. An IAP unlock would eliminate the argument that they should get nothing, but market demand would dictate that the IAP cost is closer to the nothing end of the spectrum.

7. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

There's nothing to prevent us from charging separately or via an IAP for the Apple TV app, or for that matter to include it as part of a universal purchase to begin with. But few would begrudge? really? have you read some of the things people write on app stores? (Obviously the following is in no way meant to be directed to everyone, just a certain cross section of consumers and developers. You know who you are.) I recall reading one a while back, although I forget which game it was I do remember it being free. It had many good reviews and rightly so if I remember, however there's one that has stuck in my mind ever since. (Fwiw, it wasn't one of my apps.)

There was a two star review from a woman who, despite saying that it was the best game she had played in a long time and that she would be playing it for the foreseeable future. Felt the need to complain about the (as I recall, very infrequent adverts,) she said that it was very annoying to have to put up with adverts in a game and that they should be removed immediately. She felt it to be immoral that a developer should try to cash in by forcing people who play the game to watch adverts. If the developer was to remove the adverts then she would give it a 5 star review.

In this ridiculous market that we have these days where most people want everything for nothing (I'd like to see them put the hours in at their work, that we do ours and receive no pay for it at the end of the month. would they still think it's fair? but I digress.) and many apps cost less than a bar of chocolate yet have a perceived value that can in fact be hundreds of times what is being charged for it. Peoples perspectives are completely skewed, though to be fair, I doubt most of those people were among those of us paying for boxed software in a bricks and mortar store.

But, on the other side of the spectrum and it will happen because it already does. There will definitely be developers who see (the pricing structure Apple has set up for the Apple TV as a separate entity,) it as an opportunity to effectively charge the consumer twice for the same product. You need look no further than the many companies who have released (in some cases quite expensive apps) on iPhone and charged those same purchasers again for an iPad version that would have required little to no work, or vice versa. It's just not a practice I subscribe to.

Unfortunately that's the situation that we are in nowadays. There's a bad understanding and a proliferation of people at the bottom of the rung who don't want to part with cash but who end up getting mind robbed into paying a stupid amount of IAPs. At the opposite end there are those trying to push for a more conventional pricing structure, unfortunately many of them abuse it. And in the middle there's the rest of us trying to be fair and treat our customers with the respect a paying customer deserves.

All of my future apps that are also a suitable fit for the Apple TV will be included as part of the single purchase. That's factored in to the development costs to begin with. That's my point, it's no different from releasing on iPhone and iPad, the same principals should apply as far as I'm concerned. But then, I'm not your average developer, my motives are different from the norm so I'll do what I think is fair for the customer and steer clear of the, gouging them for every penny, tactics that some people and companies employ.

Sorry, rant over, time for my medication..... Nurse :D