Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndersJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
I just bought a Lacie Rugged 500gb hdd.
I want to run time machine on it, but then it uses mac format, and i cant connect it to a windows computer.
If i use fat format, i can use it on both mac and windows, but i cant transfer files over 4gb?

What the hell do i do, if i want to use it across platforms for just storage?
Hope you can help me.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
Another option is a network drive. But since you just bought the LaCie, that isn't a cost effective option. Chris.L's is a cheaper choice.

Also, if you're using snow leopard there are drivers to read HFS+ file systems in Windows. So you could partition the drive in two, half NTFS (write in windows/read in os x) and half in HFS+ (write in os x, read in windows).

TheRE

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2009
I'm currently using an external for both Time Machine and general storage. I formatted one partition in FAT32 and the other in Journaled (I think that's what it's called? Whichever format's used for time machine, I don't remember what it's called -.-) Either way, it works fine. I plug it into my mac and it recognizes both Partitions, as it should. I plug it into my PC and it only recognizes the FAT32 partition, also as it should I believe. Works great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.