Cross platform extern harddrive problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AndersJ, Nov 5, 2009.

1. AndersJ macrumors newbie

I just bought a Lacie Rugged 500gb hdd.
    I want to run time machine on it, but then it uses mac format, and i cant connect it to a windows computer.
    If i use fat format, i can use it on both mac and windows, but i cant transfer files over 4gb?

What the hell do i do, if i want to use it across platforms for just storage?
    Hope you can help me.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would consider partitioning the drive into 2 parts, 1 for time machine and 1 for windows.

3. AndersJ thread starter macrumors newbie

4. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Either install MacDrive for Windows or NTFS-3g on your Mac.

Or both. The latter is free

5. davegregory macrumors regular

Another option is a network drive. But since you just bought the LaCie, that isn't a cost effective option. Chris.L's is a cheaper choice.

Also, if you're using snow leopard there are drivers to read HFS+ file systems in Windows. So you could partition the drive in two, half NTFS (write in windows/read in os x) and half in HFS+ (write in os x, read in windows).

6. TheRE macrumors newbie

I'm currently using an external for both Time Machine and general storage. I formatted one partition in FAT32 and the other in Journaled (I think that's what it's called? Whichever format's used for time machine, I don't remember what it's called -.-) Either way, it works fine. I plug it into my mac and it recognizes both Partitions, as it should. I plug it into my PC and it only recognizes the FAT32 partition, also as it should I believe. Works great