Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Newton Mail is continuing to operate beyond its original closure date after the service was bought by new owners (via The Verge).

5-all-devices.jpg

Newton was originally set to shut down on April 30, following previous owner Essential's decision to cease all operations earlier this year. Essential originally came in possession of the mail app through its acquisition of the CloudMagic team in 2019.

The new owners are software designers Maitrik Kataria and Justin Mitchell, who concede in a Medium post that they're not a "well-funded VC backed company" but are simply big fans of Newton Mail.
Like many of you, we were gutted to learn that Newton was shutting down, yet again. This time though, we had to do something. We scrambled to get in touch with Essential as fast as possible. After a rollercoaster of a bidding process, we were lucky enough to be chosen as the new owners of CloudMagic.

This wasn't easy for us. We aren't a well funded VC backed company. Nor are we a big corporation looking to acquire assets we can use. We are just an indie app development agency that loves building products.

Both Justin and I have years of experience in designing and building beautiful software products for startups and companies. We understand the ins and outs of product design and development but M&A (mergers and acquisitions) was a new rodeo for us.

Lucky for us, the circumstances around the buyout and recent economic situation, accelerated the sale and let us take over ownership of what we think is one of the best apps developed.
Existing users of Newton Mail shouldn't see any differences in the short term and the service will continue to cost $50 a year to use, but the new owners plan to bring better communication and customer support to users, as well as fix some bugs in the software. After that, they intend to roll out new features including a new dark mode within three to six months.

Users can also expect a revamped privacy policy that will help give them better control over their data and bring the service in line with GDPR compliance. In addition, existing users are being offered three free months of service, a 20-percent discount for lapsed subscribers who want to give Newton Mail another go, and a referral program for new customers.

The new owners are promising that if their attempts at running Newton Mail fail, they'll open-source the app and "find a way for self-hosted servers to support the product indefinitely."

Article Link: Cross-Platform Newton Mail Service to Continue Life Under New Ownership

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I don’t get these guys.
The 50dollars/year subscription didn‘t work. Now they stick to it....

The price is too high and they don’t offer enterprise type of app.
I was following them for a while on their blog and knew that they have been acquired. I was hoping they will play in the 25-30 USD range.

This news is disturbing because I love their app but under these circumstances, I am not sure I would throw 50 bucks at them.
Anyway, currently their app is sluggishly working and their features are disabled and you cannot subscribe.
I guess it will take a while for them to work out papers and other agreements until everything is in place.

It will also give me time to ponder on the cost.... it’s still too much.....

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
I’m extremely interested IF they go back to the old privacy policy of “your data is yours, we don’t do anything with it.” When Essential bought them, this moved to a “we can use your data for any marketing purposes we want” (paraphrased) including an Opt-out by email Facebook marketing scheme.

• Wow
Reactions: DeepIn2U

russell_314

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2019
USA
“Users can also expect a revamped privacy policy that will help give them better control over their data”

For $50 a year I shouldn’t need “better control” over my data. They shouldn’t be data mining period. If I want an email service that data mines there are plenty of free ones out there

macbeth1026

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I’m probably insane for doing so, but I’m coming back to it. Between my work, business, and podcast emails, I have yet to find an app that handles signatures better. My company has strict standards for how our email signatures need to look. I also enjoy all the “supercharger” features. I’ve been using Apple Mail since they announced they were ending the service and it hasn’t been a great experience.

I hope I enjoy my new life as a guinea pig.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I love this app. I cannot find a better alternative (and believe me I have tried).
I'm therefore happy to continue to support it (And I wish them the best of luck!).
[automerge]1589207148[/automerge]
I’m probably insane for doing so, but I’m coming back to it. Between my work, business, and podcast emails, I have yet to find an app that handles signatures better. My company has strict standards for how our email signatures need to look. I also enjoy all the “supercharger” features. I’ve been using Apple Mail since they announced they were ending the service and it hasn’t been a great experience.

I hope I enjoy my new life as a guinea pig.
What are the advantages over Apple Mail? What 'hasn’t been a great experience'? A factual comparative compilation of all aspects would be interesting for everyone. I miss that in almost every comment...
Why should I be interested in a software whose users themselves cannot spell its superiority?

Last edited:

Okasian

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
What are the advantages over Apple Mail?

I dont use OS X anymore and I'd love a Mail.app counterpart on Windows.

Therefore the next best thing is Newton.

The email client offerings on Windows are shockingly bad.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
[automerge]1589207148[/automerge]

What are the advantages over Apple Mail? What 'hasn’t been a great experience'? A factual comparative compilation of all aspects would be interesting for everyone. I miss that in almost every comment...
Why should I be interested in a software whose users themselves cannot spell its superiority?
I don’t know the reasons for the previous posts but for me it’s the clean interface and the UI/UX.
It’s minimalistic in a non-Google way, that is: the design components are actually pleasant and intuitive.
Apple mail for me still has issues... such as popping up randomly when I have another app open in fullscreen. So if I watch a movie I gotta get up 2 or 3 times because I get split screen.

Not sure it justifies the price but it is still a very unique approach to mail that nobody yet replicated.

macbeth1026

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
[automerge]1589207148[/automerge]What are the advantages over Apple Mail? What 'hasn’t been a great experience'? A factual comparative compilation of all aspects would be interesting for everyone. I miss that in almost every comment...
Whoah there. I didn’t mean to offend. What a strange tone to take. We’re talking about mail applications here, not religious beliefs. You should discern the difference between “cannot” and “did not.” I “did not” explain why I like it better in great detail because I felt brevity would be best. That said...

One thing that frustrated me was how I very inconsistently received notifications, especially for my work and business emails. Though I had notifications turned on for those, I would consistently miss emails. Newton seems to handle these a bit better. As I mentioned previously, adding HTML signatures to Apple Mail is like pulling teeth. Especially on the Mac, I had to rely on Dreamweaver and Terminal to be able to add my company’s email signature. With Newton these just sync. There’s a lot I have to worry about, and I really don’t want to have to worry about signatures. I have a Mac and a Hackintosh, and with needing to occasionally redo my Hackintosh it sucks having to go through the process of getting my signatures set up.

One thing I do enjoy having is Newton’s read receipts feature. It allows me to better time when I send follow-up emails. If they read it, I follow up a certain time after that rather than when I sent it. I‘m also a night owl at times, and sending professional emails at 1am or over the weekend isn’t really... ideal. So I really enjoy having the ability to schedule emails for more reasonable times. The ability to filter out newsletters and whatnot is also great, particularly for work emails where I really don’t need outside newsletters.

I always simply use the best tool for the job. I don’t hold any allegiance to Newton, Apple Mail, or anything else really. If something better and cheaper came along than Newton, I’d gladly switch over. However, at the moment Newton just does what I need and does it quite well. One of my ongoing gripes though is their lack of support for Dark Mode. I’m hoping under new ownership this will change.

At the end of the day, these things are simply tools.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
“Users can also expect a revamped privacy policy that will help give them better control over their data”

For $50 a year I shouldn’t need “better control” over my data. They shouldn’t be data mining period. If I want an email service that data mines there are plenty of free ones out there
The new policy will be GDPR compliant

Last edited:

jmitchell

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
Remote
Rest assured everyone, we will modify the privacy policy asap to reverse anything Essential added and ensure your data is your data. Give us some time to comb through the legalities and we promise to craft something that's awesome.
[automerge]1589236860[/automerge]

No data mining happening here. We won't sell any of your data ever. Pinky promise. New privacy policy is inbound.
[automerge]1589236915[/automerge]
I’m extremely interested IF they go back to the old privacy policy of “your data is yours, we don’t do anything with it.” When Essential bought them, this moved to a “we can use your data for any marketing purposes we want” (paraphrased) including an Opt-out by email Facebook marketing scheme.

Absolutely will ditch any of the language around this that Essential added. We are working on this right now.

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Dark Mode is coming to Newton Mail. A beta is currently under way and it looks so much better. Just wanted to give an update to any Newton users who have been wondering why they haven’t seen any app updates lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.