Cross-platform password manager wanted

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by toronado455, Dec 2, 2013.

1. toronado455, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

toronado455 macrumors regular

toronado455

I currently use KeePass 2 on Windows and need a cross-platform solution for Windows and OS X. (Linux and Android would be nice too, but not essential.)

I really don't like 1Password. And I don't like cloud-based solutions such as LastPass. And I don't want something that requires Mono/Xquartz to run on the Mac.

I like the simplicity of the UI in KeePass and really don't like the way 1Password does things.

I've tried KeePassX but it's based on the old KeePass v1 and think it is no longer actively developed.

Features I want:
    password creation
    auto clipboard clearing

Features I don't want:
    cloud-based data storage
    auto-type
    browser plug-ins

Anyone here who has used KeePass 2 on Windows that has tried KyPass Companion for OS X?

2. Civil Engineer macrumors newbie

try SplashID Safe

I use SplashID Safe on my Mac, Widows 7 and iOS devices. You can use it with the cloud, but I simply sync my desktops with my iPhone and update that way. I have used it ever since the early Blackberries. I have had a few problems over the years with upgrade issues, but tech support is very good and always resolved the problems within a day or two.

3. Stunned Monkey macrumors regular

I use mSecure across a Windows machine, iPhone, iPad, and Mac. I do utilize Dropbox syncing, but you certainly don't have to. Prior to this I used SafeWallet, which I actually liked better, until they ruined it with their forced cloud sync service.

4. toronado455, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

toronado455 thread starter macrumors regular

toronado455

Thanks. I tired Splash ID and didn't like it at all. mSecure seems far more to my liking, though far from perfect.

For example, mSecure doesn't appear to have a way to save the hide/show sensitive data setting, a feature which has been a part of KeePass for years. I don't like to have anything behind asterisks, and each time I relaunch the program I need to click that "show sensitve data" button to remove the asterisks. Also there should be a way to show typing for the master password on launch. KeePass allows you to unmask the characters while typing the master password.

But on the whole, mSecure is seeming to be the best KeePass alternative I've used so far.

Is there any difference between the "Mac Desktop Version" and the "Mac App Store Version"? Both are $19.99 and I don't understand what the difference is.

Edit: Oh wait, I think I just figured out the difference with the App Store version...

Edit(2): Just figured out a work-around for the sensitive fields being hidden behind asterisks. You can modify that setting in the data types, then it is never hidden. I'm liking this program more and more.

Edit(3): Duh! I just found the setting in the General Preferences to show sensitive fields at launch so you don't need to do the above.

5. Stunned Monkey macrumors regular

You need the App Store version to do iCloud sync with other iOS devices. I think they're otherwise the same. As they're the same price there's no reason not to get the App Store version.

Edit: I see you found that while I was typing!

6. toronado455 thread starter macrumors regular

toronado455

Yeah, thanks! So just to clarify, the iCloud sync feature is optional in the App Store version, but it doesn't force you to use iCloud sync if you don't want to?

And the website download version doesn't have iCloud sync at all?

7. Stunned Monkey macrumors regular

Right. I have the App Store version but do not use iCloud. I do use Dropbox sync but that's also optional.

8. toronado455 thread starter macrumors regular

toronado455

mSecure auto-clear clipboard settings?

One thing I can't seem to figure out on mSecure is how to access the clipboard auto-clear settings. It appears the clipboard does get auto-cleared (actually replaced with a single space character) after a period of time, but I'm not finding any way to adjust that.

Edit: Found something in the release notes stating that it is auto-cleared after 2 minutes. So it seems that it is fixed at 2 minutes. That's OK, but it would be better if that value were user-adjustable.

9. bcgullett macrumors newbie

bcgullett

LastPass-across iPhone 5S, iPad and MacBook Pro.

It was alright at first. But the latest upgrades have convinced me that I chose right

10. toronado455, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

toronado455 thread starter macrumors regular

toronado455

I have used LastPass for a few years just for forum logins and a few other sites like Hulu. It might be the right solution for some folks, but I dislike it, even after the update. I just deleted all my data from LastPass and won't be using it anymore.

Has anyone tried Enpass (formerly Walletx)? I am trying it out and so far it is my favorite non-KeePass password manager (KeePass is still my fav overall). It seems to be exactly what I want and nothing more. The only thing that I don't like is the poor English which pervades the Sinew website. It doesn't really inspire confidence. However, the software itself seems very polished.

11. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I use Roboform Everywhere. It has clients for iOS, Windows, Mac and Android. Your passwords are stored on their servers but encrypted and are secured within an account (using a username and password) then you can secure the database again using a master password. The app also includes the ability to generate passwords using criteria you provide.

www.roboform.com

12. MiesVanDerRobot macrumors member

If I didn't use 1Password, I'd probably be using Dashlane. Clean design, multi platform (iOS, Android, OSX, Windows), and seems very user-focused. And the price is right: free!

But I started on 1Password ages ago when it was reasonably clean and minimal, and I've stuck with it. And I'd encourage you to give it another look if you haven't seen the latest Mac version. 1Password 4 jettisons a lot of the fiddly skeuomorphic build-up the app had accumulated and takes it back to a more clean and focused design. You might find you like it.

But again, given that Dashlane costs nothing, if I weren't already in the 1Password ecosystem, that's where I'd be.

13. toronado455 thread starter macrumors regular

toronado455

Thanks. I may give Dashlane a test drive.

Regarding 1Password, I agree that the Mac client is nice enough, but the Windows client is horrid. And neither allows the user to set the fonts the way you can in KeePass.

I could say similar things about the Mac vs Windows desktop versions of the Enpass client. However, at least Enpass can import a KeePass2 XML cleanly, and I can't say that for any other password manager.

14. buddyspencer macrumors regular

but Dashlane needs an online service if you want to sync it with iOS devices...

15. Xe89 macrumors regular

I'm using 1Password, but that is what most of Macrumors' users are using and recommend in threads like this one (yes, this is not the first password manager thread). So instead I'm gonna suggest MacPass, which is labeled as "A native OS X KeePass client":

http://mstarke.github.io/MacPass/
    https://github.com/mstarke/MacPass

Competition is always good.

16. buddyspencer macrumors regular

Cool. Looks better than KeePassX.

17. Donka, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I use eWallet Go! It's a more stripped down version of eWallet but includes Dropbox and Google Docs sync. Has Mac, Windows & IOS clients but no idea about Android. Been working great for me for years. I moved to it from eWallet because it didn't support a cross platform syncing method like Dropbox which I needed for my Windows client at work.

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

Cross-platform: I use Dashlane (works wonders)
    Apple products only: I use iCloud (mostly) but relied on OneSafe (for local sync free backups)

I got the above apps for free so never needed to try out 1Password or mSecure; hence, cannot comment on them.

19. uncertain.nomad, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

uncertain.nomad macrumors newbie

It should be noted, that I am the developer of MacPass. But since I have not that much time on my hand, it's development is rather slow.

KeepassX is contrary to what @toronado455 startet in active development and has a large - manly Linux user - community. It's only done by one guy and he's doing a great job. There's an alpha5 release for the 2.0 version that can read KDB and KDBX files. I suggest anyone interested in a client should take a look.

If someone wants to contribute to MacPass, I'd be happy to help you get started.

KyPass seems rather buggy. And the fact that there was a huge security bug in all releases until 1.1 (you were able to request all passwords in clear text via http request. Unencrypted) combined with the rather buggy addition of new features and the pretty high price (marketed as 50% off) is nothing to make you fall in love with the client.

As for you features:

Code:
                        KeePassX    MacPass   KyPass
    password creation     >alpha5   >0.3.x    >1.0
    clipboard clearing    >alpha5   >0.3.x    >1.0
    cloud storage         -         -         ?
    auto-type             patch     -         -
    browser plug-ins      -         -         keepassHttp plugins should work
    idle-lock             -         >0.3.x    >1.2 (buggy, I think)
    sleep-lock            -         >0.3.x    -