Cross platform ToDo Apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by spock999, Aug 2, 2013.

1. spock999 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro, a Windows7 PC and my wife has an iPad. We are trying to set things up so that we can share stuff that matters.

We have set up Evernote as an effective way of communicating electronically and that works very well with little hassle.

We also want to set up a common reminders application. We have set up Wunderlist 2 on all machines and we like its functionality. We don't like the fact that it barely works in terms of synching the tasks and todo lists across the three machines. We have only been using it for 3 or 4 weeks but have already had quite a few synching problems. Most of them have been with the iPad. It seems that you frequently have to log out of the app, log out of the IPad or re-install the app. It is fast becoming more trouble than it is worth.

Does anyone have suggestions for a ToDo list app that actually works across platforms?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Are you looking for something that just has lists or are you looking for specific lists...

Grocery lists? etc..

3. spock999 thread starter macrumors newbie

A mixture.

We have two or three shopping lists (not weekly groceries but for specific places that we visit from time to time), one for various financial management issues and small projects, that arise from time to time and the last for family birthdays. This is something that we will build on over time but where we are after just a few weeks

We want reminders with the project/activity related stuff while the shopping lists just sit there until we go to the place they are for.

One is set up to repeat every month while the others will have a definite life. The birthdays are set to repeat annually.

I haven't investigated other apps yet as I haven't seen any that advertise working across all of these platforms.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

I guess Wunderlist may serve your purpose though I don't like it for personal reasons (the most annoying being that it does not recognize links so I cannot click on a number to make a phone call).

I personally rely on Toodledo to do my work. On iOS and Mac, I use the 2Do app to sync with Toodledo and on the go I just use toodledo.com.

Hope this helps.

5. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Have you looked into Evernote? It allows you create lists / todo and can be accessed from multiple platforms. The notes themselves are stored in the cloud and will live update as you make changes to them.

6. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I've tried quite a few list management programs over the years. I used Remember the Milk for a long time and a few months ago switched to Wunderlist, (paid version). I haven't had any syncing problems so far.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You two might want to re-read the OP original post. He has used Wunderlist and does not like and he has used evernote.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Ah. I usually respond based on title :p

9. jojoba macrumors 68000

I also use 2Do on mac, iPad and android, synced through Toodledo which can be accessed via web on PC.

10. spock999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Evernote - As far as I can see there is no calendar function associated with evernote so I don't see how you can do activity management with reminders and due dates.

Wunderlist - The features are great. Just what I want. Pity the synching just hasn't worked for us. I am only a retired guy trying to make life a bit easier not a professional so I don't want to spend too much money. 5$ per month for years to get the pro version just doesn't seem worth the money especially as the functionality of the free version covers what I need.

ToDo - Again more than I was looking to spend. I am not entirely happy with the idea of a web based PC version (Toodledo). It makes it that bit more difficult to make changes when you think of them.

11. jojoba macrumors 68000

Seems like they have 3rd party apps for Windows for Toodledo. I've never tried any of them so can't comment on functionality.

http://www.toodledo.com/tools/directory.php

12. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It's tough to find something that's cross-platform. To me, integrating with the iOS Reminders app is key. I always have my phone nearby and can tell Siri to "add orange juice to the grocery list". This just about eliminates the need for a Mac or Windows app...it's faster to add those immediate thoughts.

So...we use a free, shared Outlook.com account for this. Yeah, it's web-based, but all you need to do there is the setup and when you want to add a list (by adding a new calendar). On iOS, you add the account as Hotmail and turn everything off but Reminders.

An advantage to this over shared Reminders in iCloud is that Reminder alerts happen on all iOS devices connected.

13. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

Then try Toodledo as is. They have an iOS app ($2.99 I think) and a recently released Mac menubar app (free) and many options for Windows and other devices due to their open API.

15. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Have you looked at ToDo Pro. They have apps for iOS, Mac and android and on the PC you go into the Web version. It's really a pretty good Task List group of applications. The Pro version is well worth the money paid and not all that expensive.

16. maxosx macrumors 68020

I've been using the free version of Wunderlist for some time now. I'm a cross platform user, I access it from my iPhone 5, Galaxy S4, MacBooks & ThinkPads.

As long as I've been using it, syncing has been flawless. The only noticeable difference as compared to syncing Evernote for example is Wunderlist takes a few moments longer.

Several of my associates at work use it too. None of us has had complaints, so I'm unsure as to why syncing is an issue I'm reading about here.

17. MainStream macrumors member

MainStream

Priority can be used across platform. You can also have your items displayed on the calendar of your choice.

18. spock999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. As I thought there isn't really a viable alternative that suits the way I want to work.

I have no intention of relying on a web based application on the PC. From experience, I just won't use it. That eliminates Toodledo, ToDo Pro (which looks good apart from the web access) and Remember the Milk.

Priority & Avocado aren't available on all devices I need so no good for my purposes.

Maybe the Wunderlist synching works better in Southern California than here in the UK. From my experience, you are lucky!

19. PrincessV macrumors newbie

Take a look at Cozi for Family, it may solve some of the "syncing" issues.

20. jojoba macrumors 68000

Both I and another posted mentioned desktop applications for Toodledo. Or am I misunderstanding something?