Cross Upgrade Discussed @ AT&T Today, 'Splain Plz

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Agile55, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Agile55 macrumors regular

Agile55

On a family plan, I'm primary my son is secondary w/ a $150 + bill for both of us for a LONG time. Bought an i1 June 2007, upgraded to a 3GS last August & renewed my contract then.
    My early upgrade is right in line w/ the 6 month reprieve many are discussing, March 2011. Before then I would pay $399. Son is eligible for the upgrade @ $199 on 24 June but he is using a go phone for a variety of issues, not going there.:eek: Was told by a fairly competent AT&T employee that he has done a number of cross upgrades for 3G & 3GS customers & THINKS he can do the same when the 4th Gen comes on line. I would receive the i4, my son keeps the go phone but has incentive to earn my 3GS down the road & ditch the go phone. :D
    AT&T fella mentioned the micro sim in the i4 vs. the go phone sim, can someone explain the logistics of a cross upgrade? :confused:

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Step 1) Read the upgrade guide
    Step 2) Post any questions you have in the iPhone Purchasing FAQ thread

3. Agile55 thread starter macrumors regular

Agile55

Got it, it's been a long day, no excuse & from a fellow TXN no less, Thx.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

LOL...no prob.

AT&T rep told you correctly, this happens all the time, it's not a big deal. Micro-sim is not a factor. They will activate it for you.

where in TX?

5. Agile55 thread starter macrumors regular

Agile55

160 miles due east of the Metroplex on I20 near Marshall, ETX.

Glad to hear it can be done, just need to get my son's ph. up from NOLA

as the CSR said that would be the safest bet to have it in hand just in case.

ETA after reading the Guide it sounds like I don't need to bring his go phone, correct?