Cross Upgrade Questions. Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chriseck, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Chriseck macrumors newbie

Last December, I gave my wife my upgrade. Her line is now currently available to upgrade, but I need to know a few things first. One, if I preorder the upgrade using her line number, will I have to activate the phone on that line? Secondly, when I upgrade using her line, will I ONLY be able to do so in the AT&T store (as I have been told I will have to). I have a launch day 3gs and want to move on to the iPhone 5, but I need to figure this out first.

2. Chriseck thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone really answer these questions? I cannot seem to get a straight answer from AT&T. I'm not a dummy, I just want to know if there is any reason to pre-order if I just have to drive 70 miles to the At&t store to get it activated.

Getting 64gb iPhone 5 (Black)

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

We can only provide some basics until next week when the actual steps are known.

First swing by the upgrade guide for some basic reading: http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_Upgrade_Guide

It will be updated with the new information as the "facts" are available. In most cases you wold have been able to complete the swap at home, however this year we have the Nano-SIM in the iPhone 5. So in a worst case example you might need another "new" Nano-SIM just in case something goes wrong with your activation.

No you don't "only" have to complete the upgrade in an AT&T store. In many cases it can be done by you with some assitance from AT&T Customer care at 611.

Do you have an Apple store near you since you are so far away from AT&T?

Are you planning to order from AT&T or Apple? In past years it has made a difference since both offered different activation steps.

Dave

4. Jasperjax macrumors member

Jasperjax

I did a cross upgrade last year, because the servers were hammered, I eventually ended up activating at home via iTunes. Wasted an hour + at AT&T trying to get it done.