Cross Upgrading - Apple Store vs AT&T Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac.fanatic, Sep 30, 2012.

1. mac.fanatic macrumors 6502

I want I do a cross upgrade with another line in my family line. Is it better to get it done at an AT&T store or will the Apple store do it also? What about if I do personal pick up and order the phone from the line that's eligible to upgrade, but for myself? Can the Apple store do cross upgrades without having to activate/deactivate any phone lines?

2. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

I went to apple and done the upgrade swap and it didn't go so smooth (mainly because the guy helping me was new and clueless) and ended up having to go to AT&T and get a new sim, but it's a lot easier to find a 5 at apple

3. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

I've tried this for online reservations. The moment they scan the iphone for pick-up, the family member's line you upgraded will be activated on that iPhone 5 (even if they don't open the phone to activate the device itself), and their old sim will be immediately cease to function.

You'd need to go to an AT&T store afterwards to sort out which line goes with which sim/phone. i.e. transfer your line to a nano-sim to use on the iPhone 5, and transfer the line from iPhone 5's nano-sim to a new sim for the family member's existing phone.

Where I'm at, there is always an AT&T store close by to an Apple Store, so I'd personally buy it wherever it's easier to acquire one in stock (Apple Store), but regardless you will probably need to pay a visit to the AT&T store after.

4. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Best to go to the AT&T store. I picked up the phone from Apple and went over there. I had to have the phone I made the upgrade to with me. The guy had to change the iphone sim and the sim in the old phone - I've heard of other being able to do it over the phone with CS - not sure how because I def needed a new nano sim for the iphone. Everyone there was doing the same thing so the employees are pretty good at it

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

If you're interested in the easiest, fastest way, it's just one phone call away. This is a situation the carrier you're going to use the phone with, can handle easily.

Theres no reason to revert to days gone by, and go there in person.

They've got computers that do it when you call in. I do it each year since I have many phones, & replace them annually between the two carriers I use concurrently, Verizon and AT&T.

6. tl01 macrumors 65816

So I have a similar question... But with another twist. I got my phone from apple.com and used a cross upgrade. Somehow when we activated it, it didn't turn off the other sim. Now, I want to exchange it for a white one... Will it still turn off the other sim on the original line since they will be returning my phone am resetting the upgrade so I can buy the new one? I don't live in the same city with the other phone.

7. larryinfl macrumors member

I did that with my wifes line. I bought from Apple, but just called ATT on the phone after and they switched it in about 15 minutes or less.

8. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

I did this with my 5. I did a cross upgrade with AT&T because Apple store on 5th Avenue wasn't able to but I have my 5 on my current number and my new line with my old 4S

9. hdalien macrumors member

AT&T handled mine over the phone without a problem.

10. RocketMan76 macrumors member