crossover 13

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by emjaymert, Aug 18, 2014.

1. emjaymert macrumors member

unsure if this is the right place to post this. I recently saw an ad for Crossover 13,which ,according to the ad will let me run windows software natively on my mac with out requiring a windows license ( a la Bootcamp) Has anyone here used this program? If so what is its ease of use?How well does it work?

2. unfrostedpoptar macrumors regular

It's a great program but it's hit or miss whether the program you need will work with it. You can go to their website and see the list of programs with ratings and comments as to how well they work. I use it mostly for Quicken 2014. However, I ended up having to buy Parallels and Win7 for some programs that Crossover can't run - including many versions of Internet Explorer, which some stupid websites require :(

Definitely look into it since running full Windows is more $$$ and a massive pain (updates, anti-virus, etc).

David

3. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Which websites?

4. unfrostedpoptar macrumors regular

Lots of corporate websites for HR and accounting stuff.

5. Sciuriware macrumors regular

Sciuriware

Crossover

Hi,
    I have been using CrossOver for some months now:
    - it is certainly a better product than 'some' others, although it is not free,
    - IrfanView runs great,
    - TotalCommander is a bit of disappointment: no thumbnails,
    - MsPaint runs great, IF you replace the binaries with those of WindowsXP.

In general:
    + programs that just handle files will run well,
    + any system resource access can be a weakness,
    + all programs do not look very well, at least not like on Windows,
    + it all relies on Wine.

If possible, use applications that have a MAC version, although that version
    might look and operate a bit different (Mozilla, Eclipse ...)
    If possible, look around for a third party MAC alternative (Skim for .pdf).
    ;JOOP!

6. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

When I was looking at options for running Windows apps I weighed up the pros and cons of Crossover. I decided against it because looking at their program compatibility list it was just way too limited. Some programs came out years ago and were still not fully compatible, and when a developer updated their app it would sometimes break under Crossover.

I decided on Win7 under bootcamp for best performance and no headaches. Later I also added Parallels, which I like. But I'll soon be changing to VMware because their licensing allows installation on multiple Macs for one cost.

If you do end up buying Crossover don't pay full price, it's always going on special in some bundle or other.

7. maflynn, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only thing about crossover is that you need to make sure the apps you are planning on running will be compatible. For instance, the latest version of Office is showing untested, while office 2010 does seem to work.

Edit:
    Looks like crossover 13 isn't compatible with office 2013.

Link
    [​IMG]