CrossOver Games crashing on startup

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by tomsabin, Jun 17, 2009.

1. tomsabin macrumors newbie

Recently I installed PCSX2, a PS2 emulator for Mac and xquartz and CG framework (which were required), but I no longer wanted that emulator so I have uninstalled all of those files, well that I think, but now my CrossOver Games is no longer working

I click on the application, it bounces on the dock and loads, a few seconds in it shuts itself down :S

Can anyone tell me why it is doing this, it is very frustrating and I can't find a solution to it! Hopefully I won't have to reinstall the operating system to get it to work :/

Thank you very much in advance!
    Tom

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Eh... first, does this PS2 emulator really work?!?

If so, it sounds gr8!! :cool:

But, back to your question.... are you sure you have really removed all the files?
    If I want to see what can be causing the crash of an app, I usually keep the "sys.log" alive during the start of such an app:
    Fire up Terminal.app (in /Apps/Utilities), and goto the log file directory (cd /var/log)
    Then type "tail -f system.log", and watch the log-file as you start Crossover Games.app... maybe you can be helped to look in the right direction.

3. tomsabin thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't have any games to test it with, but it looked like it would have worked anyway if you're interested - however I think it's still in a beta version.

Thank you for you input, I'm trying to sort it out now, looks like I deleted some other files when removing the other components for the PS2 emulator. Reinstalling quartz-wm which is in the X11 bundle, I must have accidently deleted that because the log reports that it's missing those files.

Jun 19 07:37:48 Macintosh ReportCrash[1355]: Formulating crash report for process quartz-wm[1360]
    Jun 19 07:37:48 Macintosh CrossOver Games[1345]: X client process terminated with status 5.

It was crashing, but it wasn't showing the report afterwards.. but I guess all of this would have been in the crash report if I would have thought to look there :L

Thank you very much MacsRgr8, I think this should solve the problem, i'll get back to the topic if it worked/didn't work
    :)
    Thanks again

4. tomsabin thread starter macrumors newbie

I have recorded the log file when starting up CrossOver Games, and tried replacing the files which it says that are lost, but things are going no where :\. If anyone else has had this problem or has got a solution, it would be very appreciated.

This is what I am getting as errors:

5. HappyPig macrumors newbie

HappyPig

Getting the same error

I just breezed in from searching Google for a "X client process terminated with status 5" error I'm apparently also getting when trying to start up a Cider'd game. I've no solutions (that's why I came looking here) but I wanted to mention that I've the same crashing-upon-launch problems.

6. AxxyBlaxxy macrumors newbie

So I returned to this forum after over a year, because I have something I'd like you to try.

See what happens when you reinstall this older version on X11

http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/X11-2.3.2.dmg

I've read that this is the latest version of X11 that Crossover supports, and the PCSX2 process overwrites it.

Please let me know what happens. If it works again, I need to know so I can start screwing around with PCSX2 again.

Thanks!

7. starmanisjr macrumors newbie

Another weird crossover glitch

I've only got the trial version of crossover games (v.7.2.2) but hopefully somebody might be able to help with this. I'm trying to play Half Life 2 ep. 1 but every 5 minutes or so my os completely crashes. The screen goes black and occasionally there's a looped sound clip from where the game crashed. I then have to do a hard reset.
    Anybody experienced something similar?

btw now downloading X11 to see if that helps.

Cheers

8. aeror macrumors newbie

Thanks AxxyBlaxxy!
    The following worked for me:
    Open terminal. Completely remove X11:

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Utilities/X11.app /private/etc/X11 /usr/X11R6 /usr/bin/open-x11 /usr/lib/X11 /Library/Receipts/X11User.pkg

Install xquartz 2.3.2 following your link. Crossover Games works again!

9. Pisslipz macrumors newbie

The link only works if you're running Leopard :(