Crossover Games on Macbook: Steam/Source - Improving performance?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by bonkeykong, Jul 7, 2009.

1. bonkeykong macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I got Steam working on my Macbook with Crossover Games. I downloaded the Portal demo to see how it worked before I bought any Source games, but I'm disappointed with the performance. I've seen videos on YouTube of people playing Counter-Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2, Half-life 2, etc., on Macbooks with similar specs as mine with better frame rates.

I've tried changing the graphics details, directx level and running the game in a window but none of these things has really worked.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to tweak the game settings to make it run better, or if buying more RAM would be worth it to help this problem.

I have a white Macbook with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Intel GMA 950 with 64 MB shared VRAM.

Thanks!

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Extra RAM may give you a very slight boost but the real bottleneck here is your GPU, the Intel graphics chips are awful for gaming I'm afraid. Windows has better support for them then OS X so Bootcamp may improve your performance or you can overclock the GMA 950 under OS X with this.