Crossover Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jrockford, May 2, 2011.

1. jrockford macrumors newbie

Two years ago I was a PC user with a "blue screen". Sick of always having to fix my computer, I went Mac and am not going back. While I use my MacBook Pro for work, I still have a need for a PC at my office that I use only for software that is designed for my business. There is no alternative. Should I continue to use the current setup? 99% of my work on my MacBook and this one software that I can only run on a PC or should I try to use Crossover Mac for this software and run it on my Mac? At the time I "switched" to Apple, I made a decision to never go back to a PC (Windows). And the the thought of contaminating my Mac with anything Windows, makes me feel extremely uneasy. I am so done with anything Windows. In a little over a year, I've bought two MacBook Pros, Ipad, iMac. I guess my question is, should I contaminate my Mac or continue to use gotomypc and access my office PC so that I can use this software?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Jim

2. Cammer macrumors newbie

I'm sure that you've considered this, but using Bootcamp to install a Windows partition is a worthy option. You can easily keep all of the Windows applications separate from your Mac apps. Of course, if you have an aversion to anything Windows then this wouldn't be good for you. The fact is that Windows software, while being difficult to use at times, isn't going to harm your system, and using a partition makes things a little more convenient. Likening the installation of a Windows OS to a "contamination" is a bit strong and really speaks more to your personal feelings than the capabilities of the software.

You can always delete the partition and render your Mac completely Windows free if you don't like the set up.

3. letoast macrumors newbie

Your stance on Windows is irrational and essentially xenophobic. Use Windows 7, MS Security Essentials for antivirus, keep the OS updated, and don't do anything stupid. It'll treat you fine. Whether you run it through Boot Camp or VM software, you'll be able to return to the hubris whenever you like.

4. jrockford thread starter macrumors newbie

"Your stance on Windows is irrational and essentially xenophobic."

Wow. That's pretty strong. I appreciate the input. That is what I was looking for, just didn't expect a response like that. I guess while I was trying to look at both sides of the issue, I didn't expect to be attacked.

Xenophobia is defined as the "hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of their politics or culture"

Not sure this term applies. But if it fact it does I don't believe that is me. If I had hatred or fear I guess I would have never posed the question.

5. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate

Just do a bootcamp install and by hitting ALT at startup you can choose to log into windows, otherwise it'll auto-boot into OS X. Very handy to have both systems and due to being on individual partitions, they stay seperate, so there's no worries.

6. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Which applications do you need working?

Most specific business software for Windows is built in .NET which isn't really supported by Crossover.

7. observer macrumors member

when it works, it works well

I use Crossover for a couple of programs that don't have Mac versions (amateur radio is dominated by windows). The programs that run under Crossover run very well indeed, and I'm grateful for it. However, lots of programs don't run. They tend to be the ones that use databases or other distributed system access.

You'd have to find out if your specific work program will run under Crossover. You can get a free trial -- just try it and see.

8. letoast macrumors newbie

I certainly used the term loosely, seeing you as being deeply rooted in your love of the Mac world, and fearful of an outsider (Windows software).

But anyway, it was probably too strong. Windows is really fine if you treat it right. (full disclaimer: I have a Mac Mini, and primarily run Windows 7 on it)

9. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Why not just run a VM with windows since you use OS X 99% of the time?

10. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I think you should stop being silly and install Windows 7 via bootcamp. It really is a very nice operating system and you'll get to use all your applications easily:)

Also, you got to be involved in my 500th post. Woot

11. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I 2nd the VM suggestion. If you must use Windows for work (which you do), but you don't want to use multiple devices, this is the best way to go.