Crossover Performance - Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sam2428, Jul 30, 2013.

1. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, I originally posted this thread in the Mac Applications section but atfer 500+ views I did not get any feedback so I am posting here as well:

I have been searching here and on Google but have not found the information I am looking for.

I have a copy of the windows version of Microsoft Office 2007 and was planning on installing it on my new 13" rMBP via Crossover as an alternative to using parallels. Questions I have before doing so:

1. How does Office perform via Crossover?

2. How would the software look on the retina screen? I.E. does it look bad/blurry as I doubt it is optimized for the higher resolution screen?

3. Would all functions of the software perform as it would in Windows? Such as Excel plug-ins, etc. Also, how does the installation of plug ins work?

Crossover sounds like a better option to me because I will not be using any other windows software and I would save a decent amount of space on the SSD (please correct me if this is not true).

Thanks!

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

#1 I tried it once but didn't manage the activation and stopped after the 30 trial ended. I performed much better than the Office for Mac 2011. I tried it with Office 2010 but that is virtually the same as 2007. It performed really well. Had no problem with my big documents that broke down Office 2011 so often.

#2 No idea. Don't have a retina. It generally looks exactly like in Windows without Aero. Zero difference. No idea what happens with retina res.

#3 I didn't try but in theory they all run in the same environment and everything i tried worked. I used mostly online skydrive integration which just worked so much better than on 2011.

If you have a Mac already, just try it. You can test crossover for 14 days I think. Installing isn't hard.

3. sam2428 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input. Yea, I guess I'll have to try it out and see how it goes.

4. jboyd1829 macrumors newbie

Sam,
    I just recently got CrossOver 12.5 for my retina MBP 13" and wanted to know how performance has been for you. I installed office 2007 and am getting around 1 second of lag when using it. Not unusable by any means but it does throw my typing off since I see words just finishing typing as I'm moving to the next word. Any info you could provide about how it ran for you (if you chose to look into it) would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jboyd1829

5. TheBlackLabEdge macrumors newbie

I installed the trial & just recently purchased. I give it a big thumbs up. No lag here & get to use software I already purchased.

I thought I wanted a dual boot system & went through the motions with Win 7 & bootcamp. Booted windows once.... decided naaaa, removed it & purchased Crossover. I use excel extensively at work and already owned the Office 2007 product or I may have opted for the Office for Mac product.

6. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

7. RahulRulz macrumors member

RahulRulz

Why do you need to Install Windows version of Office when there is a Microsoft Office for Mac, for best performance you can Install Bootcamp on Mac and Install it.

8. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

because office for Windows is more feature rich. Why would I bootcamp to run office automation software?

9. nanoconsensus macrumors newbie

10. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976