Crossover vs Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by CitiXen, Mar 10, 2009.

1. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

What's better to run Windows games, Crossover or Bootcamp?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

That's what I was thinking. I've seen a few posts praising Crossover's performance over Bootcamp so I figured I would ask. Also what is "TinyXP"? What is the normal amount partitioned for Bootcamp?

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

5. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Crossover's really not any good at much of anything save running Notepad.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I only use CrossOver to run Steam on my laptop to download my 5-8 GB games over the fiber at work. :D

I then use Steam backup to port it back over to my tower.

8. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

CrossOver works for a small handful of older games I play. Plus it runs Winamp for chiptune playback :cool:.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bootcamp for performance, oh god yes. To get the same FPS on TF2 under Crossover I had to turn the graphics far down, lower the resolution, jump back to DX8 (might have even been 7). Crossover is for people who can't spare the room for Bootcamp or vehemently and unreasonably hate Windows.

First of all, awesome :D another chiptune fan! I love me some mods, XMs, etc. But OSX can play mods too - there's a really useful app called CocoModX that plays all module formats. Don't know about Huelsbecks TFMX format though (that's why I ripped mine from my Amiga to AAC :cool:).

10. aki macrumors 6502a

yes i agree.....crossover is amazing for what they make it do but the true situation is most games you will have to do stuff to make them work and it is time and irritating.....

yes rebooting to windows is irritating and takes time too but i basically just gave up doing windows games from osx.....yes you CAN but why really

11. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Excellent! I don't have all that many chiptunes (mostly NES, SNES, and Genesis) and Audio Overload was really annoying to use, so I'm sticking with Winamp for the time being. I've already exported most of the ones I like to iTunes.

12. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I used Crossover to play the Orange box, but found the performance so much better in Windows, although in Crossover it's not terrible.

If I seriously want to game, then I'll boot into windows, but I like Crossover to play a game I can just casually play, and in between check email or chat etc. Such as CS:S runs great in Crossover and I like to just mess around in that but don't want to go into effort of rebooting and not being able to do things I need in OS X in the background.