Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haswell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
USA
Do you think we'll see a crowdfunding campaign for a USB type C to a MagSafe adapter?

crucius

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Portugal
Do you think we'll see a crowdfunding campaign for a USB type C to a MagSafe adapter?

I'm not sure about crowdfunding it, but I'm sure we will be able to buy one really cheap on eBay soon. I currently have 2 chargers for my MBP that i bought for 15 bucks on eBay, and they work perfectly (and the internals are surprisingly good as well).

No way I'm going to pay 89 Euro for the dongle.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Magsafe is propriety and apple zealously guards its IP, so there won't be, unless it comes from apple.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
by going to a standard (usb c), the door should be wide open for all sorts of peripherals...perhaps including some sort-of magnetic power connector...

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Totally impossible, accept by way of an extra circuit.

The Mag safe charger is the wrong voltage for a USB port of any type.

The charge circuit in the 12" MB is more akin to the tablet devices and phones. They need a 5 volt input with the appropriate wattage to charge the battery.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Perhaps energy would be better directed towards Apple's MacBook Pro feedback page? I will be very disappointed if a single USB-C port really is the future of Apple notebooks. I struggle with the number of USB ports on my MacBook Pro as it is, and MagSafe is too good a technology to kill off over some aesthetic obsession with external simplicity and thinness.

I'd love to see the next MBP come with MagSafe AND and at least three USB-C ports, and I'm telling Apple. Do I think this will actually happen? Probably not, because Apple is stubborn once they run with an idea. But sometimes they listen. It took them years of protesting about the mirror-like glass on iMacs, but they finally included anti-glare screen treatment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.