Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I have a series 3 that is only about three weeks old Nike 42mm aluminum.

I woke up this morning and the crown is totally stiff and the button is unresponsive.

I didn’t spill anything on it, the crown and watch is completely clean. Theres not a scratch on the watch. Havent done anything physical other than walking, since it became like this.

What should I do? Has anyone else experienced this?

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Im gonna be in a car all day so no access to a sink but ill try it when I can. Is this a common occurence? If so that will put my mind at ease.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Im gonna be in a car all day so no access to a sink but ill try it when I can. Is this a common occurence? If so that will put my mind at ease.
It can be as simple as this. Whether it be sweat or crud over time, sometimes a little warm water will do the trick.
We are filthy creatures and use a variety of things to disprove that notion.
Soap splashes, sweat, saliva, humid conditions and throw lint into the mix who knows what can happen.
My edition did this. Mentioned it to an Apple employee. Went into the men’s room and wouldn’t ya know, like new.

Reactions: cnev3 and artfossil

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have a series 3 that is only about three weeks old Nike 42mm aluminum.

I woke up this morning and the crown is totally stiff and the button is unresponsive.

I didn’t spill anything on it, the crown and watch is completely clean. Theres not a scratch on the watch. Havent done anything physical other than walking, since it became like this.

What should I do? Has anyone else experienced this?

Symptoms like that happened fairly regularly for my wife. Here's what I told her to do, which solved the problem each time. Engage the water lock using the control center (swipe up > water drop icon). Rinse the watch under cool water while rotating the crown and push the side button a few times. Dry it carefully then turn the crown to activate the sonic water-expelling function. Once a month or so did it. (I don't know if the first step actually does anything other than turn off the display screen, and I didn't try to figure that out - so you may be able to skip that step.)

Edit - BRM gave you the same answer with a lot fewer words.
[doublepost=1539381206][/doublepost]

For my wife, it seemed to be a regular thing. I had to do this only once in a year. Was never sure why. She's a clean woman and sweats a lot less than I do. :D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I’m thinking it might be, is a pinched seal behind the digital crown, what might end up occurring is if you try to force it, the Seal will break and then the Crown will spin freely. Either way, this is an issue for Apple to look at.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Mine’s always like this after a long night of vodka and Red Bull. Never able to remember what caused it unfortunately

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Symptoms like that happened fairly regularly for my wife. Here's what I told her to do, which solved the problem each time. Engage the water lock using the control center (swipe up > water drop icon). Rinse the watch under cool water while rotating the crown and push the side button a few times. Dry it carefully then turn the crown to activate the sonic water-expelling function. Once a month or so did it. (I don't know if the first step actually does anything other than turn off the display screen, and I didn't try to figure that out - so you may be able to skip that step.)

Edit - BRM gave you the same answer with a lot fewer words.
[doublepost=1539381206][/doublepost]

For my wife, it seemed to be a regular thing. I had to do this only once in a year. Was never sure why. She's a clean woman and sweats a lot less than I do. :D
My wife is stiff and unresponsive, too.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
The crown is back to normal! Havent been doing anything but driving for the past 7 hours. Weird!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The crown is back to normal! Havent been doing anything but driving for the past 7 hours. Weird!

Interesting. I’m guessing that the seal was stuck somehow or pinched, and it managed to free itself. If it does happen again, I would certainly contact Apple.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
It actually got stiff again later. But when I finally got home and ran some warm water on the crown and let it dry, its now completely back to normal. I’m guessing it was debris.

Reactions: bruinsrme

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It actually got stiff again later. But when I finally got home and ran some warm water on the crown and let it dry, its now completely back to normal. I’m guessing it was debris.

I would suggest it get washed a bit more often to avoid possibly harming the seal. I have rinsed all of my Apple watches off once a week while rotating the crown after this same thing happened to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.