Crown pointing "in", toward your elbow

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by D.T., Jun 17, 2015.

1. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

OK, so I saw a few posts across some Blogs and Twitter about some folks wearing their watch with the crown on the inside, toward your elbow - i.e., in the Watch >> General >> Orientation, it's Left Wrist, DC on Left Side.

I figured I'd give it a shot a few weeks ago, and I've got to say, I +really+ like it.

I find it's easier to double click - your thumb and index finger are easily positioned directly opposite, and the thumb is in a more natural click position (vs. your index which is kind of twisted).

By placing my "control hand" on my left wrist, and using my thumb, I have much more precise control over rotating the crown, and the watch is more stable and not obstructed at all.

It seemed funky for a couple of days, then it hit me how much better it was for me. Since it's a super quick change, give it a shot, I think after a few days you'll be surprised. FYI, I did wind up swapping my band ends around after a few days so it matches the factory setup (the holes on the bottom band), it's more comfortable.

2. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I tried it that way for a day. I agree, it was much more natural and easy to press the crown in but not as natural to scroll. It also felt a little strange with the crown being on the inside. I may switch back that way again to see how it feels again.

3. D.T. thread starter macrumors 603

D.T.

That's funny, I did the same thing. Tried it for part of a day, was kind of not digging it, went back, but then finally committed to trying it for at least 3 or 4 days, and I got hooked on the Left-Left style :)

4. frogstir macrumors newbie

frogstir

i'm going to give it try too. another reason would be for the mic and speaker orientation. when i take calls on my watch, i try to position the mic towards my mouth. i'm guessing it would may be better/easier if the mic is on the 'hand' side? not sure if it will make a difference in the sound quality, but worth a shot. thanks!

5. D.T. thread starter macrumors 603

D.T.

You are totally right, in fact, one of the Blogs mentioned that specifically - great catch!

6. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

Thank you for this! It instantly feels more natural to me to use my thumb to click. I'm not sure I would have thought to try this, and I'm not on any social media other than here. Since I prefer the watch face to appear when I raise my wrist, I use the double-click on the digital crown to get back to my last used app to control music at work (usually Pandora).

7. jomo25, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

jomo25 macrumors regular