CRT Monitor colors bleeding with Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by upsguy27, Mar 13, 2009.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I'm using an older (2003) CRT monitor with my mac pro right now, and on darker colors the monitor bleeds to the right, causing there to be about 1/2 inch of red or yellow next to everything. It's really annoying. I've tried adjusting the resolution, refresh rate, gamma, various settings on the monitor itself, nothing works. Can someone tell me what's wrong? By the way, the monitor isn't dying; it works fine for other computers.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I don't know how that could be software related (if it is, try the usual steps, create a new user, archive/install) but I would first try resetting your PRAM. After that, try, if you can, plugging in a different monitor into your Pro and also try using the other port on the card to plug it in. Since you said the monitor works fine on other computers it might (and I'm just throwing this out there) be your graphics card.

3. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Well, it does the same thing in my Windows partition on the same computer, so it's not OS related. I've already tried another monitor, it works fine, and I also tried plugging this monitor into the other DVI port; same thing.

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

5. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

had this happen to.

basically my results were this.

if i didn't use it for a week or so it would show fine.
    if i kept it always on and used it then slowly showed up.
    basically variations of those two is what i have seen.

its your monitor.

also, see if you have a lot of cold air coming next to it or hot air, as it might be next to a window and could do something.