CRT Monitors w/black circles in the middle?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by salilsundresh, Nov 2, 2007.

1. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

Just yesterday I turned on my monitors and noticed these weird black circles in the middle of them? I had my computer still on and had used it w/my monitors like 30 minutes earlier and all was fine. What does this mean? Any way to fix it? :confused:
    [​IMG]
    PS: Please disregard the black horizontal lines, this is due to my camera.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The lines are from the way CRTs work and a shutter speed not long enough to eliminate them, that's all.

3. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

A few things...

While it's strange that it was working...

Do the rings go away when you move the monitors away from each other? CRTs only are really rated to protect the viewer from interference, but the RF coming out the sides is another story. They're not always well shielded. If you turn off your display on the right, does the one on the left improve?

You might see if degaussing them works. If the displays don't have a degaussing button, USUALLY when you turn them off, and back on after a few hours, they will auto degauss. They have to build up a charge to do so, so just turning them on and off frequently won't really get you a good hit.

Is there something else in the area that could be causing the distortion? New radios, wireless, cellphones or something near them that would do that?

4. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

it could be interference. crt's hate just about anything. I put my macbook close to one and I thought I had ruined it. The good thing is as long as there hasnt been a great deal of interference they usually go back to normal after a few days. I would just try to give them a break and turn them off for a bit. Hope it gets better. On the brightside, LCDs have gotten pretty cheap.

5. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried moving speaker, monitors, etc apart, but the problem doesn't change. I don't see why it would. I've had these monitors like this for two years with basically the same stuff around them. They're fine for 2 years, then I come back after 30 minutes and my monitors are screwd up. :confused:

6. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Any chance you had a power surge or something?

Very odd. I used to hate troubleshooting display issues. Now I remember why. LCDs are a lot more straightforward.

Since the displays are identical, do the rings stay in the same place if you switch them or their cables?

And, since I did used to do this for a living.. I do have to ask...

There's no chance that's your wallpaper, is it?

:)

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Interesting this sort of look but not circles happened to my crt in my emac when i had my macbook screen very close did u have a lcd or near it ?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No this is an old thread the OP ran something like the shell screen saver for an extended period of time and suffered burn in.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4