Crucial 128 SSD Firmware update

Bluedog54

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Boston
Installed Crucial 128 SSD in my 15" early 2011 MBP yesterday, replacing stock 750GB HD. Absolutely stunning speed increase... but I didn't check for firmware updates before installing.

Is there a means to check and update the firmware in the SSD once the drive is installed? Thanx in advance.

upbraid

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2011
Installed Crucial 128 SSD in my 15" early 2011 MBP yesterday, replacing stock 750GB HD. Absolutely stunning speed increase... but I didn't check for firmware updates before installing.

Is there a means to check and update the firmware in the SSD once the drive is installed? Thanx in advance.
you can update the firmware now but it won't matter much, crucial m4 line currently have the 5200 hour use and death going on, most likely will be resolved this month or next but no point updating anything before.

Bluedog54

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Boston
you can update the firmware now but it won't matter much, crucial m4 line currently have the 5200 hour use and death going on, most likely will be resolved this month or next but no point updating anything before.
Thanx for the info... but how is the firmware updated?

jkeekij

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Thanx for the info... but how is the firmware updated?
The easiest method is with a CD that you create from the download from Crucial. The current version for the M4 drives is 0009, and you can look in system information to get the current running version. Crucial has documentation on their website for your review.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Thought I'd bump this up instead of creating a new thread.

I finally have my 256 Crucial M4 SSD. Oddly enough, I'm now hesitant to install it. But, anyway, with the firmware update will I be able to select which drive to apply it to or will it know where the SSD is? Or does it do it detect by drive position (HDD bay vs Optical Bay)? Lastly, can I or should I do this firmware update BEFORE I add any of my data to the drive?

jkeekij

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Thought I'd bump this up instead of creating a new thread.

I finally have my 256 Crucial M4 SSD. Oddly enough, I'm now hesitant to install it. But, anyway, with the firmware update will I be able to select which drive to apply it to or will it know where the SSD is? Or does it do it detect by drive position (HDD bay vs Optical Bay)? Lastly, can I or should I do this firmware update BEFORE I add any of my data to the drive?
It will know which drive to apply it to, or if it is needed. The update program will search for compatible devices. If you just got the drive it should be current on revision 0009. The F/W revision should be printed on the drive itself. I would do it before you add data to the drive.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
It will know which drive to apply it to, or if it is needed. The update program will search for compatible devices. If you just got the drive it should be current on revision 0009. The F/W revision should be printed on the drive itself. I would do it before you add data to the drive.
Great, thanks for that.

I actually hadn't opened the package yet. And I just did and saw the firmware revision for 0009. So I guess I'm all set to go?

jkeekij

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Great, thanks for that.

I actually hadn't opened the package yet. And I just did and saw the firmware revision for 0009. So I guess I'm all set to go?
You're all set! Now get that thing cookin' and enjoy some updated performance. :D

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
crucial m4 line currently have the 5200 hour use and death going on, most likely will be resolved this month or next but no point updating anything before.
Uh Oh! I'm looking at picking up a 512GB Crucial m4 SSD.

What exactly is the issue? I've looked online doing research but have not heard about this. Sounds like the drive runs for 5200 hours and then dies?! Like, not usable again "dies"?