Crucial 128 SSD Firmware update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bluedog54, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Bluedog54 macrumors member

Installed Crucial 128 SSD in my 15" early 2011 MBP yesterday, replacing stock 750GB HD. Absolutely stunning speed increase... but I didn't check for firmware updates before installing.

Is there a means to check and update the firmware in the SSD once the drive is installed? Thanx in advance.

2. upbraid macrumors member

you can update the firmware now but it won't matter much, crucial m4 line currently have the 5200 hour use and death going on, most likely will be resolved this month or next but no point updating anything before.

3. Bluedog54 thread starter macrumors member

Thanx for the info... but how is the firmware updated?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You DL a boot CD image from Crucial and use that to make a bootable CD that updates the FW.

5. jkeekij macrumors regular

The easiest method is with a CD that you create from the download from Crucial. The current version for the M4 drives is 0009, and you can look in system information to get the current running version. Crucial has documentation on their website for your review.

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Thought I'd bump this up instead of creating a new thread.

I finally have my 256 Crucial M4 SSD. Oddly enough, I'm now hesitant to install it. But, anyway, with the firmware update will I be able to select which drive to apply it to or will it know where the SSD is? Or does it do it detect by drive position (HDD bay vs Optical Bay)? Lastly, can I or should I do this firmware update BEFORE I add any of my data to the drive?

7. jkeekij macrumors regular

It will know which drive to apply it to, or if it is needed. The update program will search for compatible devices. If you just got the drive it should be current on revision 0009. The F/W revision should be printed on the drive itself. I would do it before you add data to the drive.

8. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Great, thanks for that.

I actually hadn't opened the package yet. And I just did and saw the firmware revision for 0009. So I guess I'm all set to go?

9. jkeekij macrumors regular

You're all set! Now get that thing cookin' and enjoy some updated performance. :D

10. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Uh Oh! I'm looking at picking up a 512GB Crucial m4 SSD.

What exactly is the issue? I've looked online doing research but have not heard about this. Sounds like the drive runs for 5200 hours and then dies?! Like, not usable again "dies"?