Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Last edited:

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Temptation...

Amazon just dropped the price of the Crucial 16GB RAM kit for the 2012 Mini. It had been hovering around $105 and just dropped to $94 and change. It's possible that it will keep dropping, but this is the best price for Crucial RAM I've seen in a while.
Thanks for the update!

I see two 8 Gb Macs in your sig. Is this $94 price your tipping point? Have you decided to maximize your memory newellj? My 8 Gb 2012 mini is working fine but this Crucial RAM kit is tempting.

Attachments

newellj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks for the update!

I see two 8 Gb Macs in your sig. Is this $94 price your tipping point? Have you decided to maximize your memory newellj? My 8 Gb 2012 mini is working fine but this Crucial RAM kit is tempting.
Yes and yes... ;) I keep an eye on memory pressure with both. The Mini tends to run a little higher. Right now AM shows green and iStat Menus says 46%. I have no complaints, but yes, under $100 probably was the tipping point since I did just place an order. :)

I am not one of the "let's future-proof by maxing everything out" users. I've had some MBAs that ran Yosemite just fine on 4GB, and 8GB in two rMBA 13"s and this Mini have been very adequate, but my respect for the usefulness of the quad Mini has grown over the past couple of years and for under $100 (Amazon Prime) I'll do it.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Yes and yes... ;) I keep an eye on memory pressure with both. The Mini tends to run a little higher. Right now AM shows green and iStat Menus says 46%. I have no complaints, but yes, under $100 probably was the tipping point since I did just place an order. :)

I am not one of the "let's future-proof by maxing everything out" users. I've had some MBAs that ran Yosemite just fine on 4GB, and 8GB in two rMBA 13"s and this Mini have been very adequate, but my respect for the usefulness of the quad Mini has grown over the past couple of years and for under $100 (Amazon Prime) I'll do it.
It sounds like we have similar equipment and views about pedal to the metal future-proofing.

Today a poster in another Mac mini thread has slammed the base model 1.4 Ghz 2014 mini because Apple charges so much to equip it with the maximum 16 Gb of RAM. How does that even make sense? Some 2012 or 2014 mini users need the full 16 Gb of RAM to achieve full performance. Other users of the newer mini find the base model 1.4 Ghz adequate for their needs. How much overlap is there between these two groups of mini owners? Like you, I will consider maxing out the RAM on my 2.3 i7 just because I can. Despite this fact, a base model 1.4 Ghz 2014 should be future-proof enough for anyone with the same 8 Gb of RAM that has served us so well.

In short, if you truly require 16 Gb of RAM then you might not be the best customer for the base model mini. Unfortunately, being a brain-eating speed zombie I have to remark that a 1.4 Ghz customer with $300 burning a hole in their pocket should opt for an SSD before maxing their memory out.

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Crucial-DDR3L-1600-PC3-12800-CT2K8G3S160BM-CT2C8G3S160BM/product/B008LTBJFW

Looks like it's the lowest it's been in awhile and could possibly go lower, just maybe.

newellj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Crucial-DDR3L-1600-PC3-12800-CT2K8G3S160BM-CT2C8G3S160BM/product/B008LTBJFW

Looks like it's the lowest it's been in awhile and could possibly go lower, just maybe.
I agree that lower prices are possible. We've all seen them pop up, too, though. Under $100 was enough to prod me. ;)

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Hynix Fire in South Korea?

I recall a fierce surge in memory prices around 2013. In Q-1 RAM was inexpensive but things had changed by Q-3 or Q-4. Many of us waited for prices to drop again but they never did.

Until now... :D

newellj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
So this is a little odd. I would have thought memory pressure would be arithmetic. I had been running in the high 40s with 8GB. Amazon dropped off the RAM this afternoon (free next day delivery on a Sunday, what the heck? :confused: ) and with the same programs running I'm under 10%...

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
So this is a little odd. I would have thought memory pressure would be arithmetic. I had been running in the high 40s with 8GB. Amazon dropped off the RAM this afternoon (free next day delivery on a Sunday, what the heck? :confused: ) and with the same programs running I'm under 10%...
Amazon has a contract with usps at least for sunday delivery. The carriers are required to leave the item even if nobody is home or even if it's a closed business with lots of foot traffic right by where they leave it. If it's stolen you call and they send another. It makes no sense to me, seems like prices would go up at some point if a lot get stolen.

newellj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Amazon has a contract with usps at least for sunday delivery. The carriers are required to leave the item even if nobody is home or even if it's a closed business with lots of foot traffic right by where they leave it. If it's stolen you call and they send another. It makes no sense to me, seems like prices would go up at some point if a lot get stolen.
Yes, but that's always been two day delivery in my experience, and via USPS, as you say. This was via a private delivery service. I'm not complaining, just surprised.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Yes, but that's always been two day delivery in my experience, and via USPS, as you say. This was via a private delivery service. I'm not complaining, just surprised.
They may have the same deal with the other delivery services now. The wife got 20.00 worth of makeup from amazon that was overnighted also, we were surprised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.