Crucial 4GB Ram Upgrade Fail

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gman901, Mar 29, 2009.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I purchased the 4GB Kit (DDR3) from Fry's yesterday and installed it today. The model is CT2CP25664BC1067 and supposedly works with the Aluminum Macbooks. Everything worked fine and OSX displayed 4GB and Windows XP shows 2.72 GB of Ram. The problem was when I tried playing a few games tonight, Fallout 3, Lost Planet and Mirror's Edge. All three of them were noticeably choppy and had horrendous frame rate issues compared to the stock 2 GB of ram. Maybe I purchased the wrong Ram, but I was really surprised that the increase negatively impacted my system performance. Is the Aluminum Macbook more particular about the brand of Ram that works with it? I guess what I am looking for is which ram provides the most solid and stable performance with the Macbook and would help me see a boost in frame rates versus what I am seeing with the Crucial 4GB of ram.:confused:

2. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quick update

After reinstalling the stock ram (2GB), the games run great again. It was definitely the 4GB DDR3 ram that caused the system to slow down.

3. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can the moderator please re-post this thread in the Apple Games forum? I am looking for an answer why the ram I purchased drops the framerates in gaming. I want to know which 4GB ram actually works... Just another thought is that when I do an Apple software update, my system is up-to-date; however do I need some sort of bootcamp or firmware update in Windows XP to get the Crucial ram to work properly?