Crucial and Trimforce in El Capitan

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by honeycombz, Sep 27, 2016.

1. honeycombz macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Has anyone run into problems enabling trimforce with Crucial SSDs in El Capitan? Specifically the 500MX and 250BX? Both have the MU02 firmware. I've backed up but obviously would prefer to avoid any headaches. The garbage collection is fine but you have to option boot and then let your system sit on that drive screen for 8-24 hours to have it to anything.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I have MX200's but no issues, in fact no problems whatsoever with Crucial SSDs.

3. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

I used to use chameleon ssd for trim but since upgrading from Mavericks I guess it's not longer supported because people just use trimforce. I do a lot of photo and video editing so am thinking it would be a good idea just am unsure about it.

4. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

What are peoples thoughts on garbage collection vs. trimforce?

5. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

chameleon ssd did just enable the operating system trim support, trimforce does the same exact thing.
    Just use trimforce.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Two different things that compliment one another. Some run without TRIM and never have an issue, but others see write speed slowdowns over time. IMO as easy as it is to enable TRIM now with Yosemite and El Capitan, there is no good reason not to turn on TRIM.

7. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Thanks! Will do today. After one more backup of course.