Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
Hy guys,
I am planning on buying some RAM for my ibook and I wanted to order it from Crucial America and have it FedExed over to Europe.
The 15 dollar shippment is not that bad. The RAM is still cheaper after ading it to the Crucial retail price. I wanted to ask some friends to join in and make a bigger order thus lowering the shipment price for each module.

Are there any risks involved? Is this illegal? Would I have to pay Taxes when the product passes the border? Is the lifelong warranty from Crucial still valid, if the product is sold abroad?

Has anybody done this before? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

belair

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If it was FedEx'ed you might escape import customs charges.

However, Crucial will still charge you sales tax of some variety.
I bet their US prices don't include sales tax... e.g. Mac prices in the US are always quoted without sales tax as the amount varies from state to state.

When I recently ordered some software from Germany, I still had to pay UK VAT rate (17.5%)

Why not do a mock purchase, see what happens when you get to the payment bit, and cancel the order...

As far as the lifelong warranty is concerned, there's bound to be a 'small-print' FAQ about this somewhere on their site.

Is it honestly worth all the fuss to save a bit of money or are we talking loads?

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
Not really loads but still worth it.
1X512 Stick fot the ibook is about 190 euros here and 138 $ with crucial. Ad to that the weakness of the dollar and that stick is 108 euro. It's not a lot of money but still.
For 2X512 sticks for a single 1.8 G5 would be 260 euro here and 200 $ with Crucial, wich is 160 euro.
Ad 15 $ shipping fee and the whole package ads up to 280 euro compared to 450 euro over here.

So I guess it could be worth it unless I have to pay a lot of taxes. Still if they ad 15% that would be 42 euros and it would still be cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.