Crucial external Caddy

Discussion in 'iMac' started by laragheast, Sep 6, 2015.

1. laragheast macrumors member

Hi
    Can i ask what is the best external caddy for Crucial mx200 259 gb 6gb/s 2.5 ssd or i could choose
    the samsung 850 evo or really any ssd / caddy combo that is the best for my machine.
    i have a imac 5k fusion please and thanks.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

3. Dixie Flatline macrumors newbie

The most important thing for a USB 3.0 is that the enclosure support UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol). UASP delivers much higher transfer rates for SSDs because it's a lot more efficient than the standard USB mass storage protocol. (I believe there's still some benefit with hard drives, but it's not as dramatic.) Note that you may need to connect the enclosure directly to a USB port on your iMac to get the benefits of UASP, since UASP isn't always available when you're connected through a hub.

I don't see any mention of UASP in the specs for the USB3 enclosure that matreya links. I've got an Inateck aluminum enclosure with a Samsung EVO 850 1 TB in it, and it's working very nicely on my Retina iMac. I get approximately 427 MB/sec read and 360 MB/sec write speed with it (according to Blackmagic Disk Speed Test).

4. laragheast thread starter macrumors member