Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttran88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Hey All!

Just received my crucial m225 256 GB and installed it today. Let me tell you, it's amazingly fast. Came with updated firmware so I didn't have to do anything. The firmware has Garbage Collection which will do its own garbage collection when the system is idle so there is no need for manually trimming it yourself. This is great for MACs since it doesn't support trim ANYWAYS. I used super duper! to make a carbon copy of my old hard drive and I was set. I just installed windows and I've never seen windows install so quick. It took the normal time to expand the files due to the CD rom speed but once that was done, the install was basically done. I was doing HW and I looked up and the system was already restarting.

If you guys are looking for a decently priced 256 GB with Garbage collection capabilities, you should look into the crucial m225. There is no reason to get the C300, which is a couple hundred more, since you'll be bottlenecked by the SATA II connection.

Bought this drive off ebay BRAND NEW SEALED for 480. Not bad for a 256 GB SSD.

Thanks for reading. Hope this gives some of you more of a reason to go for the m225!

Tony

ebd.i.am

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I read a benchmark test in CPU magazine and it showed the C300 still preformed very well when connected to SATA II.

How much did you pay for the M225 ?, its on sale for $579.00 on newegg.

ExcelonGT

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
are you guys seriously ok with voiding your warranty???

I know the Apple SSD (really a Toshiba) is not the most performant, but I sure as hell dont want to void my warrenty on a $3,000 machine

ttran88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009

I know the Apple SSD (really a Toshiba) is not the most performant, but I sure as hell dont want to void my warrenty on a $3,000 machine

how am i voiding my warranty?

ttran88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
I read a benchmark test in CPU magazine and it showed the C300 still preformed very well when connected to SATA II.

How much did you pay for the M225 ?, its on sale for $579.00 on newegg.

got it for 480 shipped.

ttran88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
^ Where did you get it for that much?

Also changing your hard drive won't void your warranty. *facepalm*

I got it off ebay for a really good deal. It was priced at 525 buy it now and i used the 8% bing cashback to make it 480 shipped :D

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY

Look at the Apple manual that came with your laptop...they show you step by step instructions on how to rip open your 3000 dollar machine and swap out your hard drive yourself.

Im sure this voids your warranty :rolleyes:

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Is it compatible with BootCamp? I read somewhere that there have been compatibility problems between a SSD (made by OCZ or Intel or ...? Don't remember.) and BootCamp.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Just spent a little time on the Crucial site. That new Firmware looks sweet. Native garbage collection! :D

This looks like an ideal SSD for the MAC.
JohnG

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
There is no reason to get the C300, which is a couple hundred more, since you'll be bottlenecked by the SATA II connection.
Even with the SATA2 bottleneck, it's still a much faster drive. As for whether it's worth the increase in cost, that's the buyer's decision. But there are no two ways around it. It's a much faster drive.

ttran88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Even with the SATA2 bottleneck, it's still a much faster drive. As for whether it's worth the increase in cost, that's the buyer's decision. But there are no two ways around it. It's a much faster drive.

Well, if I didn't get this drive for 480 then I probably woulda went up to the C300 since the prices are the same on the crucial site. Yes it will be faster.

ttran88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Is it compatible with BootCamp? I read somewhere that there have been compatibility problems between a SSD (made by OCZ or Intel or ...? Don't remember.) and BootCamp.

Its perfectly compatible with bootcamp. There were no errors, I just put in my osx install disc and it should come up as a bootcamp installer. Everything worked out fine for me. This was Windows 7 by the way. I love that it has all the drivers that I need and I dont need to go searching like I always did with a pc!

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Great!!! BTW, which MacBook are u using? :D

Is anyone know the Apple SSD (Toshiba) 128GB support auto trimming itself??

Thanks;)

ttran88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Great!!! BTW, which MacBook are u using? :D

Is anyone know the Apple SSD (Toshiba) 128GB support auto trimming itself??

Thanks;)

I'm a mid 09 mbp 13". I don't think the toshiba has auto trimming.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I'm a mid 09 mbp 13". I don't think the toshiba has auto trimming.

If not... Why Apple will have an SSD option?? Because some ppl in forum said it'll become very slow after a period of time~

Don't know anything about this, but the Apple SSD working fine for me :D

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Look at the Apple manual that came with your laptop...they show you step by step instructions on how to rip open your 3000 dollar machine and swap out your hard drive yourself.

Im sure this voids your warranty :rolleyes:

QFT. Thanks for pointing that out to him.

Scrib

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
Can the firmware updates be performed by burning to a CD/DVD and booting from the media as you normally would?

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Just ordered a m225 from BeardsHats. They appear to have the best prices right now.

jajohns8

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
QFT. Thanks for pointing that out to him.

Just in case there is any other questions on this, I can confirm it does not void your warranty.

When I installed my x-25 m SSD, I accidentally stripped some of the back cover screws. I also didnt have the torx t-6 screwdriver required to remove the small screws on the old hard that I wanted to put back on my new SSD to keep it more securely in the compartment. I took my MBP to the genius bar and not only did they order new screws for me, they removed the t-6 screws from the old hard drive and put them on my new SSD for me.

Again, this is something clearly explained in the user manual.

Simply replacing/upgrading your harddrive does not void your warranty.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Upgrading your hard drive does not void your warranty...

I thought that as well... I have had managers at 2 different apple stores tell me on the new unibody mbp's swapping your own HDD or RAM does void the entire system warranty... I want to believe you guys here but so far every actual apple manager I have talked to said the rules changed with these new unibody mbp's.... I did not learn that until after swapping out my own ram and HDD... if something fails I'll just throw in the original parts before I take it back in...

seems like depending on your apple store you might have a manager who is honest, or you might not... I have had bad experience at the DC area stores... they also refuse to price match the microcenter deals that have been offered lately...

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
I thought that as well... I have had managers at 2 different apple stores tell me on the new unibody mbp's swapping your own HDD or RAM does void the entire system warranty...

That is downright false. Please explain to me with simple logic why Apple would document something meticulously in its official user's guide that comes with the machine, that would lead to voiding your machine's warranty. If following the user manual breaks your warranty, Apple would easily slide into massive lawsuits, you know that ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.