Crucial M225 256GB SSD questions.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Remmnever, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Remmnever macrumors member

So I have an opportunity to buy a crucial m225 256gb ssd for $300. I plan on installing it in a 2010 Macbook Pro 13" but I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these drives before. I've been doing some research the past few days that have made me doubt them. Some have had problems with data being corrupted over time among other things.

I use my mbp for a variety of things including gaming, photoshop, video editing, and multimedia viewing. I also run windows 7 though parallels 6 for office and other windows software.

I just upgraded my memory from 4gb to 8gb but I would still like the added speed of the ssd. I want to make my applications open and run faster as well as decrease boot time.

If anyone has any experience with these drives please let me know. I think the $300 price is great but I don't want to have to replace it within a year.

2. Chiquon macrumors member

I popped one of these in a 2008 Alu Macbook Pro 13" (4GB RAM) a year ago and the performance boost was superb. It boots up quite a few seconds quicker than my new 13" Air (4GB, 2.13GHz). Sounds like a good buy to me.

3. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

Im actually in the exact situation as you. the 8GB ram upgrade was so nice.
    wondering whether to go SSD now...

Are there serious corruption problems ?

Do you reckon it will be better to wait for newer models to come out?

4. Remmnever thread starter macrumors member

How long have you had it installed?

5. Chiquon macrumors member

I installed it in March 2010. I've seen no noticeable slow down, or any data issues. To be honest it has been the best upgrade I've done on a laptop - very quick to boot/wake, applications launch much faster, overall speed is much quicker (very few beach balls these days), runs cooler and quieter.

6. MacGadgetGal macrumors newbie

MacGadgetGal

Agreed an SSD upgrade is the singularly BEST upgrade I've ever given any computer.

For about $2/GB the Crucial SSD and it's forward-looing SATA III interface looks like a good long-term choice. I've bought 3 SSD's for various Macs and all have been DEAD RELIABLE. In fact I almost NEVER have to run Disk Utility anymore - which was pretty much routine for spinning platter drives.

Yeah, some people might experience data corruption. It happens on ALL sorts of data storage media. But unless there's truly widespread reports of a given SSD causing problems under OSX - the vast majority of SSD users simply get on with living life in the FAST lane.