Crucial M4 256GB SSD Failure!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mstgkillr, May 9, 2012.

1. mstgkillr macrumors regular

In February I purchased a brand new 15" MBP MD322LL/A. I immediately upgraded to 16GB of RAM and a Crucial M4 256GB SSD. Over the last month I have noticed progressively more beach balls and unexpected quits. Last night the drive completely failed. I did have TRIM enabled and running rev 0309. At first, the drive was lightning fast but failing after 3 months is unacceptable. Hopefully I have better luck with Crucial's warranty.

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

From everything I've heard, Crucial is really good about their warranties and customer service. I hope they get things taken care of quickly for you, and hopefully you had all your stuff backed up!

3. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Nothing has a 100% success rate but I would hope their customer service is good as I'm looking to grab one.

4. mstgkillr thread starter macrumors regular

After troubleshooting for a few hours with Apple yesterday, I now have to do it again with Crucial... Of course this has to happen when I need the computer the most...

5. DanTheCru macrumors newbie

Crucial SSD

Try going through the power cycle steps first.

1. Press and hold the option key until you reach the boot menu. The computer will need to stay powered for 20 minutes.

2. Power the computer down and disconnect the drive for 30 seconds.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 one more time.

4. Reconnect the drive normally, and boot the computer to your operating system.

If after this the drive doesn't come up than I would give their technical support team a call. If for any reason something has happened to the firmware on the drive than this will correct the issue since they run a dual firmware were one is a read only and the other is the active version. The power cycle process will check the active version and over write it with the read only version.

6. mstgkillr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I will give it a try... I already received the RMA to have the drive replaced under warranty. If the above does fix the problem, how could I avoid it from happening again? Would enabling TRIM have anything to do with it? If the above does fix the problem should I get the replacement anyways?

7. Tony N. macrumors newbie

TRIM is supported. It most likely it's a failure elsewhere. TRIM should not destroy a drive.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

For the future if you have a SSD+HDD setup it is really neat. Because you can be back up and running in no time if you have a big enough partition on the beginning of the HDD as a backup of the SSD.
    I didn't have it ready to run but backup from a timemachine backup worked.
    Otherwise buy at least an 2.5" external HDD. That you can use as a replacement. If you really need the Notebook and it is really only the SSD that dies you can be back and live again with just a somewhat slower but working notebook very quickly.